Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Engagement Photo and other DIY Studio Shots
Posted By: paden501, 02-04-2008, 05:06 AM

Well I put together a little DIY studio in the basement at my Fiancee's house this weekend and we took some photos together. Here's what I ended up with:

These were all taken with pretty much the same way. K10D w/ Kit lens, Nikon SB-25 bounced off of an umbrella above the camera and a little to the left.
Sunpak AutoDX26 fired from the floor or from eye level at the backdrop. Backdrop was a white sheet in all photos.

Let me know what you think!!
Views: 3,084
02-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #2

1. Nice pose but the lighting is a bit flat. Moving the light further to the left or adding a second side\backlight would greatly help improve it.

2. More dramatic lighting which is good,but the shadow side is a bit too dark. Some may like it, personally I think it needs more detail from either a fill card or a lower (2-3stops) powered flash

3. Better! If you moved your subject further from the background it would help eliminate the shadow she casts on the background which is slightly distracting.

4. Nothing overly wrong with the lighting but the pose doesnt work for me.

5. Just a tad underexposued, otherwise the best shot up there.

Ways to improve. Gell the flash on the background to add some life to the shots. Personally if you have two strobes I wouldnt use any as a background light, I'd go for a two light set up, either "cross-lighting" or adding a backlight\side light\hairlight.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments Mikhail

I was going for overly contrasty with the 2nd shot so I was pretty happy with what I got.

I agree w/ your comments on the first one... bethany wasn't really 'into it' so I warmed her up with some simple shots directly into the umbrella.. that was one of them.

Number 3... that backdrop was plagueing me all day.. I couldn't get anyone away from it enough because the room I was working in is really small. I'm going to look for a better spot next time.

I tried for the 2-light approach first (i think shot 3 may be one of them) but I wasn't happy w/ the shadows I was getting on the backdrop... so I moved the fill flash to the ground shooting up through the backdrop

Thanks again for all the comments. They were quite helpful.
02-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here's another one that I just got done PPing. Comments welcome as always:

02-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
Thanks for the comments Mikhail

I was going for overly contrasty with the 2nd shot so I was pretty happy with what I got.
In that case it does work. Also to make it even more contrasty it would of looked even nicer with a darker background.
I agree w/ your comments on the first one... bethany wasn't really 'into it' so I warmed her up with some simple shots directly into the umbrella.. that was one of them.

Number 3... that backdrop was plagueing me all day.. I couldn't get anyone away from it enough because the room I was working in is really small. I'm going to look for a better spot next time.

I tried for the 2-light approach first (i think shot 3 may be one of them) but I wasn't happy w/ the shadows I was getting on the backdrop... so I moved the fill flash to the ground shooting up through the backdrop
Well you have to do whats best in the situation. I wasn't there so dont know what working space you had, and I'm only judging the pictures.
Thanks again for all the comments. They were quite helpful.
On the new shot, I quite like the pose, just the shadow to the left of your faces is a tad distracting but not a deal breaker. Next time use the same\similar set up but try and use a fill card on the shadow side to make up for the lack of another flash.

Thanks
02-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks again for the comments Mikhail. Your ideas have been real helpful.

I'm personally not a big fan of the new shot because I think that I blasted the right side of my face with too much light.

Maybe I'll get time to try it again this weekend.
02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
Thanks again for the comments Mikhail. Your ideas have been real helpful.

I'm personally not a big fan of the new shot because I think that I blasted the right side of my face with too much light.

Maybe I'll get time to try it again this weekend.
I dont think its the right side of your face that is the problem, its the background to the right of your face that is much brighter than any other part of the picture. The side of your face may also look brighter because its much brighter than the otherside of your face. If you brough that up it would even out, and turned down the power on the background flash.

Thanks
02-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Alright, One more to add to this thread. Here it be: