Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Confessions of a Lazy Man
Lens: D 15 Limited Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Galveston Bay ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Sailor, 09-29-2012, 08:42 AM

For most of my sailing life - which dates back about 4 decades - I've dismissed the oft-used practice of sailing a sloop-rigged boat with the jib alone as slovenly (), but over the last year or so as bones have become more brittle and sore places last longer, I've moderated my view of this matter (). The fact is that on a conventional, masthead sloop like Cut Time with a roller-furling headsail, the jib can be deployed simply by pulling on a line, and the boat sails rather nicely in winds above 15 knots or so. In fact, utilizing the mainsail - from uncovering, hoisting, adjusting, dousing, readjusting and covering - comprises about 75% of the work entailed in an afternoon's sail. Consequently, Connie and I have adopted a policy which dictates that if there's sufficient wind to maintain an average boat speed of about 5.5 knots or more (often the case on the Bay), the main stays covered. Here's a shot I took of the jib in action a few days ago as we enjoyed an early fall sail. I'm in a B&W mood this morning (as is often the case), thus the conversion.

Jer

Views: 1,652
09-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And all that jibber-jabber means what? Sorry, I don't sail, never have, even though I was raised near water, we had motored boats and row boats......we worked the river for money not pleasure.

I like the B&W shot though, seem fitting, Jer.
09-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jer, nice capture. Using just enough sail to get the job done goes right along with "'don't use force, get a bigger hammer" and getting old ain't for sissys. Hope your B/W mood lifts soon......Cliff
09-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What photlady said - I read it and then was looking for a manual or translator haha. it's a great hobby and yes we do not adjust some things as time goes by - but it's all good buddy.

09-29-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sailor, I actually understand what you said on several topics: sailing and old age. I've love boats an sailing, yet have done very little sailing. My favorite spectator sport is the Volvo Ocean Race! I follow Ken Reed and Puma the years when they race! The old age deal hit too close to home - I know the feeling!

Anyhoo, great photo! Enjoy your time under sail, however much you want to set!
09-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I also have absolutely no idea what you said but I will fight for your right to say it. Nice shot of the jibber-jabber whatsit.
09-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
And all that jibber-jabber means what? Sorry, I don't sail, never have, even though I was raised near water, we had motored boats and row boats......we worked the river for money not pleasure.

I like the B&W shot though, seem fitting, Jer.
Hey Mar - that "jibber-jabber" simply means I don't have to work so hard when we use only one sail. I'm glad you liked the B&W approach.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Jer, nice capture. Using just enough sail to get the job done goes right along with "'don't use force, get a bigger hammer" and getting old ain't for sissys. Hope your B/W mood lifts soon......Cliff
Thanks, Cliff - yeah, nowadays I try to work smarter, not harder! And - now that you mention - that last sentence of mine does indeed sound morose, something I didn't intend at all. What I should have (and could have) said: "I was in the mood to do B&W conversions today, which often is the case." I apologize for sounding like I was moaning the blues.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What photlady said - I read it and then was looking for a manual or translator haha. it's a great hobby and yes we do not adjust some things as time goes by - but it's all good buddy.
You bet, bud. Thanks much for looking and commenting; I always appreciate it.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Sailor, I actually understand what you said on several topics: sailing and old age. I've love boats an sailing, yet have done very little sailing. My favorite spectator sport is the Volvo Ocean Race! I follow Ken Reed and Puma the years when they race! The old age deal hit too close to home - I know the feeling!

Anyhoo, great photo! Enjoy your time under sail, however much you want to set!
Hey, thanks much, Will. Sailing is a great hobby and often is very synergistic with photography.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I also have absolutely no idea what you said but I will fight for your right to say it. Nice shot of the jibber-jabber whatsit.
Thanks, Susan. Sorry for the jargon - at least I wasn't "talking chemistry." I've only converted a few on-the-water shots to B&W, but I like the effect and will do more of it, I think.

Jer

09-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
another great b/w Jer, thank you for showing us your jib, many men would be too ashamed to share it.
09-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
another great b/w Jer, thank you for showing us your jib, many men would be too ashamed to share it.
Well, Bob, I can say that although it's definitely exposed it is - in fact - still between the sheets.

Jer
09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well composed shot and the black & white rendition makes it more dramatic. Well done Jer!
10-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well composed shot and the black & white rendition makes it more dramatic. Well done Jer!
Thanks for the very kind words, EM.

Jer