Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Alaska Part I (Talkeetna and Ruth Glacier)
Posted By: palmor, 02-04-2008, 06:55 AM

Hi everyone,
I posted these on the other forum but never got a chance to post here. So if you've seen them before I apologize, and hopefully they are new for some people Some photos I'll just link so save bandwidth along with breaking up my posts. All of them can be viewed here: Alaska Photo Gallery by palmor at pbase.com

Anyway, last summer my myself, my wife and a close friend of ours took a 3.5 week vacation to Alaska. We planned the trip ourselves (no tour groups) and while we had a rough plan we stayed flexible enough to just "wing it" a lot. We basically did a complete circle around the state (drove ~2400 miles). Starting out in Anchorage the first stop was up to Talkeetna where we spent a couple of days.

The three of us in Talkeetna: IMGP8102.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com

From there (among other things) we took a flight seeing tour that included a glacier landing on Ruth Glacier.

Flight up Ruth Glacier:
It doesn't look like it but this is 3 miles across. You really lost all sense of scale while flying up.

Here is a photo get a little bit of scale. It is hard to see but there is a plane flying the other way in the lower right hand corner.
It is actually a little scary when you think about how small you are compared the surroundings.

Finally at the top! This is a 180 degree (or more) pano while we where at the top.

Views: 1,377