Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Alaska Part IV (Valdez)
Posted By: palmor, 02-04-2008, 07:30 AM

So after driving from Fairbanks we spent a few days in Valdez. One of the days we took a all day cruise to check out Glaciers, Mountains and Wildlife. There was hardly a dull moment on the ride and was one of the highlights of the trip.

There where also a TON of eagles in Valdez. On one stretch of road I stopped counting at 50.

From the boat ride

Striking a pose

Sea Lion: IMGP9039.jpg photo - palmor photos at pbase.com

I think he thought I looked funny

A bird cruise

Views: 1,600
02-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Again - WOW! These are great pics! Love the capture of the chunk of ice falling off the glacier - perfect timing.

What lens are you using for these shots?
02-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of these are knockouts! The seals on the ice, the next, mountain and reflections, Ice falling and the final one - all great@. Like the ice falling and the blue colours you got of the glaciers. Cool Eagle shot as well.
02-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone (again!).

I'll just copy and paste my lens response...

Oh question about lenses and filters etc. I brought WAY too much gear. For 99% of my shots I used either the Sigma 17-70 or a Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AT-X. I used a Tamron 70-300 for few shots buts thats all.

What I did bring that worked out VERY well was two camera bodies. I had the Sigma 17-70 attached to my Ds most of the time and the Tokina attached to my K10 (for the SR). I did switch for some shots at places I knew I wouldn't run into any wildlife. I didn't use any filters at all. I did bring a cheap tripod and a monopod, both worked out pretty well. I could have used a better tripod but I didn't want the extra weight (or spend the money on a CF one).

I mentioned this in the other reply.. if anyone is planning a trip let me know if I can answer any questions. We where there for almost a month so I could have some tips