Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Up for the Sunrise
Lens: various Camera: K5 Photo Location: Whitefish Lake, Algonquin Park, Canada 
Posted By: tessfully, 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Well, we went camping and I actually got Norman to get up for a sunrise! He's been kind of dopey and napped the day away, but I think he is glad he got up.

When I first crawled out of the tent this is what I saw:

A few minutes later:

Proof that Norman was up!

A fish eye view

The colour left the sky, the light was blue, and a mist hung around for awhile

It turned into a beautiful day

BIF? This crummy image made me smile.

Back lit canoe

Upside down cliffs

Old Dreamer

Views: 1,473
10-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! What a beautiful day for shooting, right from the start.
I love fog, so you wouldn't have had to ask me twice to get up.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful pix.
10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another beautiful series Tess, love the reflections that you get. Funny thing about Norm, he has razzed me a couple of times about sleeping in, finally the truth about Norm comes out. the bif is actually pretty cool.
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
another beautiful series Tess, love the reflections that you get. Funny thing about Norm, he has razzed me a couple of times about sleeping in, finally the truth about Norm comes out. the bif is actually pretty cool.
I got up early, then I got a head ache, then a migraine... that required drugs, then the drugs required sleeping... all I've got to say about getting up early is..DON"T DO IT MAN, it'll ruin your f*#&ing life.

10-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Wow! What a beautiful day for shooting, right from the start.
I love fog, so you wouldn't have had to ask me twice to get up.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful pix.
Thank you for having a look foto guy! I had been aching to get out for a sunrise, so I am happy there was something a bit unique to view. Nothing like an early morning mist and light show Thanks for the nice comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Thank you Bob! I am a morning person. I get up early, I sing and dance, philosophize and chatter ... I drive Norman crazy in the morning. So out I go with the dogs and my camera. Life is grand

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I got up early, then I got a head ache, then a migraine... that required drugs, then the drugs required sleeping... all I've got to say about getting up early is..DON"T DO IT MAN, it'll ruin your f*#&ing life.
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great series Tess! The second one is is truly wonderful; a beautifully captured moment. Love those colors! What a serene scene.

Good on ya for dragging Norm out of the tent for the magic hour!
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw your thread and said to myself: "Why bother to post a reply? Tess always brings some form of poetry to her pics - and there is no reason to believe this should be any different."
Well, you did it again ... GREAT pics!

JP

Last time I got up that early, I had to get back to bed during early afternoon! Mind you,I did get a pic of a Short-eared Owl but I thought the experience was rather painful!

10-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, what they all said! Wonderful photography. You've got the eye for sure.

I'm up early, 5:00 am. Cup of dirty sweet tea and I'm off to open gates, feed animals, check pumps and in for breakfast. Our sun rises are generally dull and boring visually, but I still like being out with the early morning critter sounds.
10-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a wonderful set of images Tess and what a wonderful day you must have had. Thanks foe sharing it with us.
10-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess, you surpass yourself time and time again. #1 is simply magnificent, the others not far behind. Such a tranquil place.
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tess, thanks for sharing another terrific set of photos.
10-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Those are fantastic! I have to go all the way Iceland to get some decent shots, you guys just get to do a day trip!
10-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

What, no swimming on tjhis day? Nicely done TesS. Pays to get up a early. JIM
10-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

more excellent shots, #1 is such a beautiful image, there may be something to this getting up early, might have to give it a try! ... some wonderful reflections, and did any of your doggies have any thing to do with those panicked ducks....
10-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Kauffman Quote
Great series Tess! The second one is is truly wonderful; a beautifully captured moment. Love those colors! What a serene scene.

Good on ya for dragging Norm out of the tent for the magic hour!
Thank you Marcus! I got about 8 photos of the changing sky which only lasted about 10 minutes before total mist and blue took over. It was definitely a "snooze you lose" sunrise!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I saw your thread and said to myself: "Why bother to post a reply? Tess always brings some form of poetry to her pics - and there is no reason to believe this should be any different."
Well, you did it again ... GREAT pics!

JP

Last time I got up that early, I had to get back to bed during early afternoon! Mind you,I did get a pic of a Short-eared Owl but I thought the experience was rather painful!
You are always so nice JP! Thanks for the comments and compliments. Trying to merge words and images without getting cliche' is difficult. I am glad the photos spoke for themselves this time! Cheers!

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Yes, what they all said! Wonderful photography. You've got the eye for sure.

I'm up early, 5:00 am. Cup of dirty sweet tea and I'm off to open gates, feed animals, check pumps and in for breakfast. Our sun rises are generally dull and boring visually, but I still like being out with the early morning critter sounds.
ah yes, I used to farm in another lifetime... I had a few of everything, goats, sheep, chickens, pigs, one cow! I loved getting up, the welcoming mutter from the animals, the smells, sun rising through the mist across the field. It was a life that suited me. Thanks for sharing and for commenting Will.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
What a wonderful set of images Tess and what a wonderful day you must have had. Thanks foe sharing it with us.
You are my inspiration Heinrich, so thank you so much for looking and commenting! I had a great day!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Tess, you surpass yourself time and time again. #1 is simply magnificent, the others not far behind. Such a tranquil place.
Thank you Bruce. I think number one is my favourite even though the rest of the sunrise was more dramatic. Once thing the photos don't show is the wolves howling, into the night and again into the morning. They circled the lake, starting off very close to where we were camped. We could hear where they were as night and morning rolled in...

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Tess, thanks for sharing another terrific set of photos.
Thank you so much for looking jva!!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Those are fantastic! I have to go all the way Iceland to get some decent shots, you guys just get to do a day trip!
Thanks Jerry! And thank you for going to Iceland!! How else would I ever experience the visual wonders of Iceland if not for you and others here. This is why I love this forum... the world through a photographer's eye.... doesn't get much better than that (unless you can actually be there)

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
What, no swimming on tjhis day? Nicely done TesS. Pays to get up a early. JIM
If we had stayed longer I would have gone swimming, even though the water is colder now it is not yet hypothermic. Definitely no more pics unless fully suited though

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
more excellent shots, #1 is such a beautiful image, there may be something to this getting up early, might have to give it a try! ... some wonderful reflections, and did any of your doggies have any thing to do with those panicked ducks....
Oh Cee Cee you are right! But those ducks came back looking for a handout. The dogs only scared them away the one time, but peace-fully existed thereafter! Thank you for the appreciative comments!