Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Soft Turf
Lens: 24-70 Photo Location: Iceland ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: Jimbo, 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM

This was shot late at night just out side of Vic in Iceland. One beautiful location where finding beauty was not too difficult. Still haven't started on the meat of my shots. Cheers JIM

Soft Surf

Views: 1,084
10-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
This one my daugfhter prefers. I am leaning to the forst one though. for printing. JIM

10-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'm with your daughter! The textural disparity between the clouds and sand in the first shot is somewhat relieved by it's resolution in the second.... but truthfully, both are wonderful. Have you considered cropping out the empty space in the top and bottom? Also, so of the mottled colour in the black area to the right is a bit distracting? Great job though!!
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Appreciate you commenting. I will not be cropping either photo. I do have another, from this time frame, that is slightly different and cropped. I will post it later. I took around 30 moving around the framing and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. I will let me daughter know as she is usually right, or at least she thinks she is. Cheers JIM

10-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more of the cropped version. I was going for a layering effect from black to blue to black.. Still have so many from here to go through. Cheers and again thank for for taking the time to comment. JIM

10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Forum Member

Stunning! I think you cropped that near perfectly (though I might take ~2% more of the bottom of the frame to better match the geometry of the sky) . There is a subjective reflection / opposition of the tonal values in both major axis' - and the softness of the turf works so much better offset against the whole sky in this crop. This I think has potential for a masterful large scale print. Awesome work.
10-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I like #3. This is a shot I wanted to get but I overslept and couldn't get it. We stayed at the Hotel Edda Vik, which I believe is very close to where you took this picture from, correct?
10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Stunning! I think you cropped that near perfectly (though I might take ~2% more of the bottom of the frame to better match the geometry of the sky) . There is a subjective reflection / opposition of the tonal values in both major axis' - and the softness of the turf works so much better offset against the whole sky in this crop. This I think has potential for a masterful large scale print. Awesome work.
If I like a area I take many different images / set-ups while there. This one I have many to still go through. The third one was the first one I processed though did not put up as it was not completed. Appreciate your feedback as it helps on future shoots. JIM

QuoteQuote:
I like #3. This is a shot I wanted to get but I overslept and couldn't get it. We stayed at the Hotel Edda Vik, which I believe is very close to where you took this picture from, correct?
That is correct. I ended up buying a sweater in the Vic wool shop. Love the Church on the hill. Will post my shots of that soon. Cheers and you we right, one beautiful loacation. Cheers. JIM

10-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly I must go to Iceland! These are terrific.
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Love the Church on the hill. Will post my shots of that soon.
I wanted to get that too, but we were on a bus schedule and I missed it. All I got was a mundane shot from a distance. Next time....
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Clearly I must go to Iceland! These are terrific
It is one beautiful location but there are so many others. One must make the most no matter where one is shooting. Cheers JIM

QuoteQuote:
I wanted to get that too, but we were on a bus schedule and I missed it. All I got was a mundane shot from a distance. Next time....

Today 09:40 PM
One of the better ones given its location. Cheers JIM
10-04-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While they are all good I think your last one is a wall hanger - print / frame / hang ! Beautiful subtle transitions.
10-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
While they are all good I think your last one is a wall hanger - print / frame / hang ! Beautiful subtle transitions.
Thanks Dave. I have a few more to go threw from here. Cheers JIM
10-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't pick a favorite - they all have their merits and I would have loved to have taken any of them. Nicely done Jim.
10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
can't pick a favorite - they all have their merits and I would have loved to have taken any of them. Nicely done Jim.