Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hoodoos and Oddities
Lens: various Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Bryce Canyon, UTAH 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM

A few formations that I thought you would enjoy from Bryce Canyon on our recent visit. Taken in direct sunlight, but still worth a look I thought. thanks Bob

Attached Images

Last edited by Bob Harris; 10-03-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Views: 1,708
10-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As usual I look at your pics with awe Bob. To me these pics are of places that could be from another world. I especially like the last one of the natural tunnel.

While I am not a traveled person by far, your tour out west this year makes me think. I hear people from time to time planning a vacation to other countries to see the sights, but to me, there is so much to see right here in our own country that there wouldn't be enough time in my life just to explore the USA.
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As usual I look at your pics with awe Bob. To me these pics are of places that could be from another world. I especially like the last one of the natural tunnel.

While I am not a traveled person by far, your tour out west this year makes me think. I hear people from time to time planning a vacation to other countries to see the sights, but to me, there is so much to see right here in our own country that there wouldn't be enough time in my life just to explore the USA.
Great series of shots Bob. Just quietly why are they called the Hodooos?

Cheers
Shane
10-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote

Stan, we have been on the road full timing in our motorhome for the last 8 years and we are still amazed at the sights to see here in the US. We have been fortunate to visit and study the Revolutionary War and Civil War battlegrounds and museums, visit many of the American Indian nation lands and learn their history. A trip from Louisiana to Minnesota to follow the Mississippi River to locate the headwaters was a wonderful trip and don't forget Montana and the Dakotas and all the S/W states. Following part of the Louis and Clark expedition produced unbelievable landscapes and touring Texas really took some time it is so large in size and history. I could go on and on, but you are right, we have so much here in the USA, I am sure we will run out of time before finishing our adventures, but it has been a wonderful experience for sure.

10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
Great series of shots Bob. Just quietly why are they called the Hodooos?

Cheers
Shane
Shane you asked why they are called hoodoos, not what they are so this is the best explaination I could find. hoodoo and voodoo are not the same thing at all. Here is what I found:
Voodoo is a different word and quite a different concept. The word voodoo comes from another African language called Ewe where vodu is the name of a specific demon or tutelary deity. Voodoo passed into American English by way of Louisiana Creole voudou. Very early in America, hoodoo came to mean 'jinx' or 'cast a spell on' as a noun and a verb: "Something hoodooed me out in the swamp last night. I think it was my ex-husband."

They are different words entirely, obviously. But not according to the Oxford Canadian Dictionary. The Merriam-Webster Dictionaries, the authorative compendium of American English, does accept the new research. You know, our knowledge of word borrowing has advanced quite beyond the clichés of Victorian "philology" upon which the Oxford English Dictionary was founded. We now understand that, when two groups speaking utterly different languages mingle and must communicate, the loan of a word is not always in one direction. American aboriginal peoples of the northwest picked up the word hoodoo from English-speaking fur trappers and, like them, used hoodoo to refer to any malignant creature or evil supernatural force. That's how it came to be applied to the curious columns of earth or rock. For they were thought to be evil in the mythologies of many first peoples. But, borrowing works in the other direction as well. For example, in Siksika (Blackfoot) mythology, the strange hoodooesque shapes were giants whom the Great Spirit had turned to stone because of their evil deeds. Deep in the night, the petrified giants could awaken and throw boulders down upon any humans passing nearby. European newcomers to what would become the Canadian and American west heard aboriginal peoples' description of these strange formations and translated certain Siksika words and terms from several Siouan languages like Dakota and Lakota and used the word hoodoo as the translation. In some cases the English word displaced the Siouan word. In other cases the Siouan word remained.

I bet you are sorry you asked.
10-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice set Bob! Here in Aussie you would be called a Grey Nomad, retirees that hit the road. I can't wait.
10-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Very nice set Bob! Here in Aussie you would be called a Grey Nomad, retirees that hit the road. I can't wait.
Ray Allen, who does a lot of RVing in Australia, also mentioned that. He meets with other RV friends who enjoy the lifestyle. Our kids just call us "Hippie Gypsies".

10-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A few classic ones in there Bob and thanks for the articles.
10-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Stan, we have been on the road full timing in our motorhome for the last 8 years and we are still amazed at the sights to see here in the US. We have been fortunate to visit and study the Revolutionary War and Civil War battlegrounds and museums, visit many of the American Indian nation lands and learn their history. A trip from Louisiana to Minnesota to follow the Mississippi River to locate the headwaters was a wonderful trip and don't forget Montana and the Dakotas and all the S/W states. Following part of the Louis and Clark expedition produced unbelievable landscapes and touring Texas really took some time it is so large in size and history. I could go on and on, but you are right, we have so much here in the USA, I am sure we will run out of time before finishing our adventures, but it has been a wonderful experience for sure.
Ditto Bob. So much to see and so little time.
10-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Our kids just call us "Hippie Gypsies".
When I grow up I want to be like you Great shots of the geographic treasures!
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice photos Bob! I really envy your ability to travel the country, looks like huge amounts of fun.

Be careful going through that tunnel in the last photo though, don't look like too much room for the RV
10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Such beautiful natural magnificence! I always look forward to seeing more of your photos, Bob! The last shot is my favorite from this set. Such a cool place!
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
A few classic ones in there Bob and thanks for the articles.
thanks Dave, I learned a bit too about the hoodoo.
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Ditto Bob. So much to see and so little time.
one thing Susan, you do get out and around quite a bit. That Alaska trip was a once in a lifetime adventure.
10-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
When I grow up I want to be like you Great shots of the geographic treasures!
We have visited here several times over the years Larry, but I never get bored with the park.