Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Speedfoos' "Gallery" Thread
Posted By: speedfoos, 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Right, so I'm going to start posting all of my shots in here. If you run through the thread and see something I'm doing wrong or something I'm doing well, please let me know. Even if it's something like "You need to focus better". I'm an amateur, plain and simple. I switched from taking pictures to photographs a little over a year ago and have never taken a glass, read a book or had any other formal training in photography. I've read a couple articles (from a google search) about ISO, Aperture and shutter speed.

My rig is pretty basic. I shoot using an old Pentax istDL and primarily keep an old Sears MC 50mm/1.7mm on its nose. Occasionally I'll throw the kit 18-55mm or a Sigma 12-20mm on it, but the manual 50mm is my go to lens for what I like to shoot. I do want an AF 50mm, but life always gets in the way and I usually find some other project I want to spend that money on.

I feel that I have a good eye for composition, a rudimentary understanding of how to capture light and Adobe Lightroom goes the rest of the way to making me a halfway decent photographer. I know that my mind sees when I snap a shot and its usually not what comes off the frame. LR helps me get it close to what my mind saw when I looked at the subject.

Regardless, I'm going to catch this thread up with a bunch of shots I've already done and I'll keep updating all of my shots in here.

Hope you enjoy where I travel to and what my mind sees when I push that button.
Views: 5,112
10-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So I'm on my way back to Afghanistan and am stuck in Atlanta for the night. They put us up in the Sheraton Gateway hotel and with nothing to do, I grabbed my camera and walked around. The old Atlanta Convention Center adjoins the Sheraton and was shut down several years ago. Great opportunity for me!

It certainly was.

Hooray for Federal programs....

Hope your tetanus shot is up to date.

So hot even the snakes couldn't hang.

10-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #47

Original Poster
Looks like I'm a one-trick pony when it comes to lens choice. We've got a really nice Sigma 12-20mm - which I used today - and I really don't like it. I don't think my eye is right for it so a lot of these are heavily edited because I didn't like how they came off the frame.

Zorglefajityblargalfit is 4700km that way.

Because people lose all common sense out here.

Choppas.

Down by the flightline by our lawnmower with wings.

Playing with shutter speed. (1/4000)

Getting new trucks or getting rid of old trucks?

Almost as much chrome as G-Man's FLH!

Mine rollin'

Parking lot, Afghanistan style.

Had a partner this morning.

10-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #48

Original Poster
OK forgive me now for a bunch of pics, but I had a good time with this.

Mindy sent me a celebratory pinata (I named him Pedro) to crack open when I get ready to blow this popsicle stand (which is very soon), so I took him for a tour of the FOB today. As usual, my trusty 50mm on all manual, varying aperture and shutter speed.

This is what they use to warn us when the savages launch rockets and mortars at the FOB, Pedro.

No, that's not a bunker.

Yes, you need to take cover under sandbags.

Good job. PMCS those tires.

We call this the front of the truck.

Get the tools out Pedro!

Yes Pedro, this truck is for SIGINT.

Oh noes! Pedro! You're stuck in the concertina wire!

Go get em in the ATV Pedro! Run those filthies down!

You can't quite 10 and 2 and I think you'll have to sit on a phonebook.

Yes Pedro, that's a tire.

Safety Always, Pedro. Get them straps on.

No, its cool. you won't blow out of the window and I promise not to use you as gauze.

Always be aware of the emergency exits Pedro.

Careful. Flash floods can occur at any moment.

That is not a restraining strap on your head.

Don't fall in Poop Creek, Pedro! It's nasty!

Careful Pedro! You might fall off the T-wall!

Yes Pedro, I think you can still get hurt if they RPG hits the net you're behind.

Good job Pedro, lug them sandbags.

Pedro, you got promoted!!

10-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #49

Original Poster
Went to the zoo with my girls today and realized I didn't really take any pics of the animals. Oh well, good fun regardless. My 50mm as usual, full manual.

F: 1.7
EXP: 1/500
ISO: 200

EXP: 1/125

EXP: 1/180

EXP: 1/90

EXP: 1/180

ISO: 500

10-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #50

Original Poster
So all camera phone, but I included one of my photos when I made my DIY yeast stir plate for brewing today!

10-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #51

Original Poster
Went shopping with my girls the other day. I keep meaning to break out my little Holga lens but haven't yet. May try this weekend.

Anyro, 50mm and manual.

10-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #52

Original Poster
Took some random ones at work today since I had to be out and about. All camera phone, some post processing with the phone and the rest with LR.

I'm so hot.

As usual, its all about perspective.

MooooooCoooooooo

Winter shield on, and I moved from front indicators down to the forks.

More on this place tomorrow as we're going back (and I'm taking my SLR). Would you believe its one of our training areas?

10-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #53

Original Poster
Went to Raven Rock state park today with my girls. My daughter is starting to get the hang of photography!

By her - with my manual 50mm.

Of course, she took a lot of duds too (don't we all), but she's learning and has an eye for it!

Here are a few more when I could get the camera back from her.

10-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #54

Original Poster
Took a little walk around Tombstone today after class since I'm TDY down here now. Place is about to dry up and blow away. Recession hitting the tourism industry has taken its toll on this place.

Some with the 50mmm

Only place that looks like its doing well....

And then drove up to Schieffelin's monument because that place is kind of cool. It also begged me to break out the 12-20mm.

Bugs.

And fauna.

10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #55

Original Poster
Hit up some stuff today. Went to the Fairbank ghost town (found a drug runner food backpack and turned it in to the Border Patrol guys), then went to Lowell and met and had a conversation with a Mayan from a Californian branch, then went to the Chiricahua National Monument where my old arse hiked 10 miles in the canyon.

Some with the 50 and some with the 12-20mm:

The Mayan's bike.

10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #56

Original Poster
And the Chiricahuan Monument:

She likes him for his personality.

This little guy nearly made me crap my pants.

10-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #57

Original Poster
Wow. 173 views and not a single comment. Well, that tells a guy something. Admittedly the Photobucket compression kills the clarity something awful, but I didn't think I was doing that poorly.
10-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #58

Comes to mind, something like:

"We do more (with our DL) before 5 A.M. than most people (with their K5s) do all day!"

Keep your family happy, and stay in one piece!
10-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow that's a lot of shots but I think there are some really good ones in there. My take is if you enjoy the shot then it's prefect keep on snapping.
10-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #60

Original Poster
Thanks fellas! I really do like the character my istDL gives. I've played with my wife's K7 and while I like all the whizbang features of it, and just doesn't sing like my little DL.