Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Speedfoos' "Gallery" Thread
Posted By: speedfoos, 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Right, so I'm going to start posting all of my shots in here. If you run through the thread and see something I'm doing wrong or something I'm doing well, please let me know. Even if it's something like "You need to focus better". I'm an amateur, plain and simple. I switched from taking pictures to photographs a little over a year ago and have never taken a glass, read a book or had any other formal training in photography. I've read a couple articles (from a google search) about ISO, Aperture and shutter speed.

My rig is pretty basic. I shoot using an old Pentax istDL and primarily keep an old Sears MC 50mm/1.7mm on its nose. Occasionally I'll throw the kit 18-55mm or a Sigma 12-20mm on it, but the manual 50mm is my go to lens for what I like to shoot. I do want an AF 50mm, but life always gets in the way and I usually find some other project I want to spend that money on.

I feel that I have a good eye for composition, a rudimentary understanding of how to capture light and Adobe Lightroom goes the rest of the way to making me a halfway decent photographer. I know that my mind sees when I snap a shot and its usually not what comes off the frame. LR helps me get it close to what my mind saw when I looked at the subject.

Regardless, I'm going to catch this thread up with a bunch of shots I've already done and I'll keep updating all of my shots in here.

Hope you enjoy where I travel to and what my mind sees when I push that button.
Views: 5,127
10-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
And to add to my thread. Some pics from today.

Here are a few from my trip to Bisbee today. Man, that is one cool town with a lot of interesting people in it.

Mostly done with my 50mm, but a couple with the 18-55mm (because I do get tired of MF on occasion especially when shooting for a few hours) and a couple with the 12-20mm.

50mm (until further notice).

12-20mm

Back to the 50mm

They let him out a little later.

18-55mm.

50mm

One of the stranger things I saw today.

10-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #62

Original Poster
And a couple from a car show I hit on my way back.

Gnarly old 70s camaro.

Don't squash this bug.

Drool.

And my favorite, but not in the show. A dirty, leaky, old nasty looking panhead.

10-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #63

Original Poster
Bummed around today to a couple different spots. Mixed the lenses again.

On the way to Parker Canyon this morning.

12-20mm

An old holding tank and windmill next to the road. 18-55mm

This is bat country. Still 18-55mm.

Critter. 100s of these plastered on my bumper. 50mm.

Then I stopped at the Fort Huachuca Post Cemetery to pay my respects and remember why I serve. I didn't know anyone who was buried here, but that doesn't matter.

10-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #64

Original Poster
Of all people, I ran into a guy I was in Africa with about four years ago so we hung out in Bisbee drank way too much beer today. Good times!

Knuck knuck knuck!

Just what baby Jesus needs, a headband with a violin.

That's right 'Merica. Grab yo ankles and hide yo' wives.

Yeah. I've got nothin.

Dave, 12 years from now when your daughter is 13, she's going to be pissed you tried to feed her stuffed animal to a random dog.

A guy walked by us and said, "Yeah man, I'm just having a good time walkin' my dog <stoned giggle>". Too funny.

Once more, I've got nothin.

"My Volkswagen Beetle", in the vernacular.

Bug bug bug.

Late 60s pick-em-up truck in the parking lot.

11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #65

Original Poster
I've been a little busy the past couple days, so forgive me while I flood a few pics to the thread, not that folks will comment if they do mind. All 50mm on this and the next post.

Went back to Tombstone - final time - to pick up a couple t-shirts at the MoCo Accesory store. Ouch what a premium price, but a Tombstone Harley t-shirt is kind of unique.

Stopped at a footbridge on the way there that I've been meaning to hit.

And there was some cool graffiti underneath.

11-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #66

Original Poster
Nothing in Tombstone, but I did spy a couple nice t-buckets on my way out.

As usual, only pieces of them caught my eye.

11-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #67

Original Poster
And a final hike up Chiricahua Canyon. We did a steep 7-mile hike up Garden Canyon the day prior, so this 10-mile up Chiricahua nearly broke me off.

Random tarantula ripping across the road on our drive in.

No comments on most of these, I think they speak for themselves. Oh this is all with my clunky 18-55mm. Aperture kept getting stuck so a little kinetic coaxing on my part would get it to snap.

Arizona redwood.

Rarer than an albino Chupacabra.....me!

Edited, but it was what I saw.

And to embrace the strangeness of the Arizona Hilljack in his natural habitat, this was parked at the head of a driveway next to Old Glory.

11-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #68

Original Poster
Okee doke, last set for a while.

Went back to the old Fairbanks ghost town (where I found the food pack a few weeks ago) and walked up to the old silver mill site and poked around a bit with my 50mm.

I think this sign is trying to tell me something, can't quite figure it out.

Caught my eye as I walked past.

Backstop to the old mill.

Bugs?

Something at the top of the mill.

There were several old homesites around as well. Nothing really left, but still interesting to walk around them.

Somebody came unhinged.

If I can just find all of the pieces...

I can put Humpty back together again.

I think this was the hood but I'm not sure.

Holding tank?

A collection of stuff folks found.

Some old foundations to something.

Danger is just another word for fun!

Now when you pick a paw paw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big paw paw

11-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #69

Original Poster
Driving back I saw a really nice Volvo Amazon 123GT Coupe. I have a soft spot in my heart for these old cars considering a '66 122 just about ruined my bank account and marriage when I went to put a 383 into one!

Here's what the full car would look like if I could have gotten a good shot of the whole thing.

And a very funny sign on base.

11-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #70

Original Poster
Thank you , thank you everyone! You're right, using the midget was a great idea.....

Last pics from AZ as I am home now. A couple old cacti that I would see on the way Sahuarita to visit my cousin.

11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #71

Original Poster
And so I replied, "Listen. I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood and I have no problem going out the same way,"

Went to the Charlotte Ren Faire today, good times even if I had to share my camera and couldn't leave my 50mm on (my wife hates using it).

Didn't try the beer but the poster was cool!

Gee, what lens did I use on these two?

Peekin.

Whoops...that one was from my barn. Moving on...

Baby shoes!

My wife has a thing for Johnny impersonators.

11-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #72

Original Poster
Made some Belgian rock candy today for another beer and focus stacked three shots from my 50mm:

11-23-2012, 03:45 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No comment from me as I think there is a more proper way to display this many images than in this thread. There are "albums" and "galleries" here at the forum for uploading all your photos if you like.

PentaxForums.com - Member Photo Albums

Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery
11-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The amount of images made my head hurt, therefore making it hard to comment and giving me the urge to get off the computer and take a breather . You do have cool shots in there thou .

Cheers.
11-23-2012, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #75

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
No comment from me as I think there is a more proper way to display this many images than in this thread. There are "albums" and "galleries" here at the forum for uploading all your photos if you like.

PentaxForums.com - Member Photo Albums

Gallery - Pentax User Photo Gallery
I appreciate the suggestion!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
The amount of images made my head hurt, therefore making it hard to comment and giving me the urge to get off the computer and take a breather . You do have cool shots in there thou .

Cheers.
Yeah, its a bit overwhelming but it works for me. I've recently stumbled on to smugmug and keep things a bit more organized in albums there, this is just a catchall of everything I've done that I like. Thanks for looking though!