Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Playing with light, Pentax only. Remote Slave Flash works now
Posted By: little laker, 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM

I tried getting a my Sigma EF - 500 DG Super to work as a remote Slave unit on with my K100D the other day, and it always fired a moment too late.

For the K100 owners out there whom aren't aware our cameras do not have remote flash triggers, although I believe that the K10 does.

This is the best K100D photo I could come up with

compared to a similar photo with my Sigma

Well last night I worked at it some more, with some success. Sorry I don't have any fruit at the moment, so I used a couple of other props I have.

I had to manually program the flash, which took a little bit of figuring out. But at least I know that it's possible now.

So I guess that if you want to do something similar with your K100 don't loose hope.
It just takes the right flash and some patience.
Views: 2,094
02-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

Just curious as I have a couple of the same flashes and used to have a K100D (I fired them with a non-super sigma flash). What is meant by manually program the flash?
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Probably the same thing that you were doing, although you do-not need a Sigma flash on the camera. The pop-up flash works just fine.

- I set the flash up as a slave,

- adjust the flash output to between 1/8 and 1/32 for the best results, This setting will probably have to be changed for the best results.

- set it to f32 This setting will again have to be changed for the best results.

Set the flash were I want it, and take a test shot.
Alter those 2 settings for the results I want.
02-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Stu, I had a similar problem with my k100d and my Sigma 530 super. The pre-flash seemed to trigger the off camera flash too early and the shot didn't turn out. I played around with it and it works great now. So I guess I'll have to chalk up my earlier failures to operator error, cause I can think of no other good explanation! At least I'm getting consistent results now.

02-05-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That's good to hear Fritz,
When I bought the flash I was hoping that I could use it with both cameras, and I'm sure grateful that I can now.

I just can't afford 2 or everything at this time