Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few BIFs
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: South Carolina 
Posted By: slowpez, 10-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Here are a few more birds from Huntington Beach SP. Hope you like them.

The Great Egret has a radio transmitter placed in his back. You can see the two wires protruding from the lump it makes about shoulder height.
The Skimmer was tough for me to catch. He really moved fast.
The last two are an Osprey and a young Laughing Gull.

Last edited by slowpez; 10-19-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Views: 1,263
10-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Susan these are amazing captures. Very very crisp and quite beautiful. The Skimmer is hard to understand as he seems to be facing his wake. I love the Ospey, just an excellent shot. And a beautiful fluid image of the Egret. You are getting very good at these. I would like a long lens to try shots like this. Yesterday I captured a crow doing acrobats in the sky, including a dive, flying upside down, wings crooked and floating upwards, and a shot where it looked like a bullet propelled forward. Great shots if you like teeny dots in a big blue sky. Thanks for the inspiration Susan
10-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Susan these are amazing captures. Very very crisp and quite beautiful. The Skimmer is hard to understand as he seems to be facing his wake. I love the Ospey, just an excellent shot. And a beautiful fluid image of the Egret. You are getting very good at these. I would like a long lens to try shots like this. Yesterday I captured a crow doing acrobats in the sky, including a dive, flying upside down, wings crooked and floating upwards, and a shot where it looked like a bullet propelled forward. Great shots if you like teeny dots in a big blue sky. Thanks for the inspiration Susan
Thanks so much Tess. The skimmer has his beak in the water fishing. You may be looking at the other end. Would love to see your crow shots; they sound neat. Did you get the info on the 300mm lens and its weight that I posted for you under my last thread?
10-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks so much Tess. The skimmer has his beak in the water fishing. You may be looking at the other end. Would love to see your crow shots; they sound neat. Did you get the info on the 300mm lens and its weight that I posted for you under my last thread?
I did Susan, thank you very much. I am seriously considering the 300... the only thing is we did a 13 km. hike yesterday, the middle of which I witnessed the crow. I carried my good (heavy) tripod, K5, Tramron and DA 21Ltd. and I was exhausted from the weight. But, I think if I can find a good carry back-pack I would be better off and able to manage the 300... it would have been so nice to have for that wonderful display. We are mulling over a couple new lenses plus a new camera body for Norman as I pilfered the K5 from him. My vote is for the 300, and I look forward to more of your work with it. Thanks!

10-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very nice shots. Really enjoyed them. Well done.
10-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I did Susan, thank you very much. I am seriously considering the 300... the only thing is we did a 13 km. hike yesterday, the middle of which I witnessed the crow. I carried my good (heavy) tripod, K5, Tramron and DA 21Ltd. and I was exhausted from the weight. But, I think if I can find a good carry back-pack I would be better off and able to manage the 300... it would have been so nice to have for that wonderful display. We are mulling over a couple new lenses plus a new camera body for Norman as I pilfered the K5 from him. My vote is for the 300, and I look forward to more of your work with it. Thanks!
I just sent you a pm (may have sent two or none because things on my computer are going crazy). Feel free to ignore them. Glad got the information.
10-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluestringer Quote
Very nice shots. Really enjoyed them. Well done.
Thanks so much. Appreciate your kind comment.

10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You have this genre nailed down... very good! The second one is a real keeper.
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
You have this genre nailed down... very good! The second one is a real keeper.
Thanks GeoJerry. Not on par with your Iceland shots but my BIFs are progressing nicely though I still have quite a way to go.
10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #10

Very nice shots, Susan! The skimmer shot is great with the wake and the reflection.
10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
Very nice shots, Susan! The skimmer shot is great with the wake and the reflection.
Thank you very much. I have a lot of near misses for that bird.
10-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All very good Susan, but I think the Skimmer photo is quite unique with the disturbed water in front and a full reflection.
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
All very good Susan, but I think the Skimmer photo is quite unique with the disturbed water in front and a full reflection.
Thanks Bob.
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
Great shots, I especially like the osprey and the skimmer.
10-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Getting better and better Susan.