Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
New watch in the collection, so macropalooza!
Lens: Sigma APO DG 70 - 300mm 1.4-5.6 w/macro Camera: K5 Photo Location: Kitchen 
Posted By: doggydude, 10-10-2012, 08:48 PM

I collect watches.

This gem just arrived today from New Zealand. It uses a Seagull manual wind mechanism, the first manual wind I own.

This marks the third Magrette I have and I absolutely love them all.

I've always loved the look of nice timepeices, and automatics and manuals with display backs (such as this one) let me enjoy the intricate details of the watchmakers craft.

I literally unwrapped the watch and set up the camera - which, I will say, is a more than willing companion for the tomfoolery of getting decent "lume" shots (shots of the watch displaying it's luminesence). Gotta remember though, to always hit the subject with the rocket to get rid of the stay bits of dust & lint that accumulate. Invisible to your eye, seemingly, until being reviewed in the picture on your laptop after the gear has been put away...them BAM, there is the lint...mocking you...

If you think you're seeing lint, you are. If you think you're seeing dust, you are. That's on me, not the lens, not the K5 and not the watch.

Onto the snaps!

Views: 865
10-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice detailed shots!

Your post made me think....I've never warn a watch, and generally try very hard not to keep track or know what time it is. I don't know why - I've been like this all my life. But, your photos and commentary made me realize for the first time that indeed there is craftsmanship here at a very high level - I'm impressed. I think I like the craftsmanship of the watches more than the time they represent.
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Most days, when I wear a watch, I don't refernce it for time. I liek to look at it, contemplating the work that went into it. When I ride one of my motorcycles to work, I don't wear a watch. I'm surrounded by time-telling things all day anyway, so its not like you won't know "when you are" during the day.

I do like wearing a wtch this timeof year because sunset somes a bit earlier, making for great light and a willing, detailed photo subject...that happens to tell you something useful.