Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Ottawa Downtown at Night
Posted By: interested_observer, 10-13-2012, 08:17 AM

I was in Ottawa and walking around in the evening (ps - its cold - at least for me). This was downtown, Parliament, the Locks, etc. I will say that when reviewing on a large monitor, I find shots that I should have taken but did not. Of late, most of my shots have a lot of city lights, that just flare. I guess I should use a hood, but a lot of these lights are just there and you live with them.

Bracketed @ 5 frames. I guess I really should try something else since they are around 10 to 30 seconds each, and that tend to pull and smear the clouds in the sky quite a bit.

Attached Images

Views: 3,333
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
interested_observer,

I tried to download photoengine but the download failed, not sure why but will try again later when I get home. Did you try both photoengine and hdrengine, and why did you choose photoengine? I'm not sure this is right for me as I'm on Mac OS and I'd have to go in and out of Windows, but if it's good enough I can do that.

10-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Morning Jerry,

I used (and bought) the PhotoEngine product. It has a couple of additional capabilities that I wanted to try (the multiple lighting capabilities), while (as I understand it), the HDREngie product is primary the HDR (tone mapping) capabilities. There are a couple of videos, that show how you can apply the capabilities of the products. I just tried the PhotoEngine. As I indicated previously, the workflow and the instant feedback in terms of the changes were very effective to me, and appealed to the way I wanted to work in post processing.

10-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I didn't know Ottawa had arctic lights! I'm joking, I know its only clouds.
The style of photos is actually pretty nice, in a kind of sugary, surreal sort of way. The only thing that bothers me a little is that most of the photos seem to be tilted. The horizon isn't horizontal.
But visually, in terms of colors and light conditions, its an interesting style
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice shooting. I like the effect of the long exposure on the clouds. I'll have to try that. I like #1 the best but I wouldn't have minded a bit more image to the right. As for those images you might have missed or shot differently, you'll just have to go back and reshoot!