Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Elk and Rocky Mountain Bighorns
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 10-14-2012, 06:43 AM

I received a new (to me) lens Friday, a 300mm F4 AF lens. Looks like it was never used. Pretty good for $440 (this is the older non AF-S version though).

I took it up to the mountains for some wildlife photography, but the light wasn't there since it was cloudy/dark and snowy. Got a few decent photos though, but no real keepers.

Shot with the Nikon D600. I need to get a 1.4x teleconverter. (I do miss the 1.5x magnification of a crop sensor for wildlife).

Views: 1,108
10-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think they are excellent, and I love the snowflakes too. Very nice shooting. I am very interested in that lens. Did you use a tripod?
10-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Well, I think they are excellent, and I love the snowflakes too. Very nice shooting. I am very interested in that lens. Did you use a tripod?
Thanks! The lens itself is of excellent quality and focuses very quickly, considering it is a screw drive. If you don't have a screw drive body, you'll need to get the AF-S version. From what I can see of using it a little, it is a VERY sharp lens wide open. The colors are great too,

I used a Manfrotto monopod for these photos, which is my normal way of shooting wildlife with a telephoto. It allows for no setup time and you don't spook the wildlife with a potentially noisy tripod.
10-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. My camera has a screw drive.... I have been looking at the new DA 300 but with results like this I will have to shop around to see if I can find a deal like you got. I was wondering about the monopod as your shots are so sharp and for me this would be a heavy lens. I too use a good monopod on which the head of my good tripod fits. thanks

10-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You got quite a few keepers in this bunch I would say. The snowy shots are marvelous and I can hear that bull elk bellowing all the way here.
10-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thanks for the info. My camera has a screw drive.... I have been looking at the new DA 300 but with results like this I will have to shop around to see if I can find a deal like you got. I was wondering about the monopod as your shots are so sharp and for me this would be a heavy lens. I too use a good monopod on which the head of my good tripod fits. thanks
I think you'd really like this lens. It is MUCH cheaper than the newer AF-S version, but has the same great IQ and sharpness. I read up on it a lot before ordering and it has a following. There are a large number of photos available to look at taken with this lens, both at Flickr and at Nikon Cafe.

I got mine at Adorama, but I've seen others on Ebay and B&H for around the same price.
10-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
You got quite a few keepers in this bunch I would say. The snowy shots are marvelous and I can hear that bull elk bellowing all the way here.
Thanks Susan. I just didn't like the light. I can probably spruce them up a little in post, but they won't be as good as a nice sunset lighting shot .

There WERE numerous bugles all through the mountains and a couple of charges by the larger bull going after smaller bulls that were getting too close. Have I mentioned I reeeely like this time of year?

10-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the photos show much better on this forum CJ, great job as usual.
10-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
the photos show much better on this forum CJ, great job as usual.
Thanks Bob, I appreciate it! Yeah, the photos display larger here, although they do resize now down to a smaller image (these are 1200 pix wide). Pentaxforums used to not downsize images, I wish they still did not (it affects image quality).
10-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great captures CJ - beautiful wildlife shots.
10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Great captures CJ - beautiful wildlife shots.
Thanks Dave, I appreciate it!
10-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great captures CJ. Thanks for posting.
Looks like you will get good use with your new toy

Dennis
10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those ruttin' in the rain shots are fantastic... excellent work with your new 300 ! dave m