Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Hoodoo's You'll Love
Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bryce Canyon, UTAH 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-18-2012, 02:14 PM

This part of the park doesn't have the traditional red sandstone landscape. A couple of photos of this unique color to share with you. Thanks for looking. Bob

Attached Images

Views: 1,314
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are great Bob! The trees help with showing the real size of these things I think.

In the second photo, it looks like one could walk up to one of them and just push them over......

Just amazing what erosion can do. I am used to water erosion around here - I am assuming these are created more by wind erosion?
10-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Love the texture and colour Bob, in the 1st one what were you doing? Hanging on by your toenails?
10-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
These are great Bob! The trees help with showing the real size of these things I think.

In the second photo, it looks like one could walk up to one of them and just push them over......

Just amazing what erosion can do. I am used to water erosion around here - I am assuming these are created more by wind erosion?
When I took these photos the wind was blowing pretty good and you can see some dirt and tree movement in the photos, but was so happy we had a very clear day.
Not only wind, but rain, from what I understand, sandstone is very porous and collects water. When it freezes and then thaws it breaks down the weaker materials and erodes away from the main formation. We have a couple of geology enthusiasts on the forum, hopefully they will view and correct or add to this. Hope this helps a bit. thanks for looking and commenting, always appreciated. Bob

10-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A stunning landscape and images.
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice views Bob. Another place I need to go, almost made it a few years ago, but had to turn back due to bad weather.

The first one looks like it has a strong yellowish to orangish cast on my monitor though. I don't know if that's just me. Is the temperature in the default setting or has the image been warmed up, or maybe it was taken in the late afternoon? The second one looks normally balanced.

A hoodoo is formed when a very soft layer of rock is overlain by a hard, brittle layer. Natural fractures in the overlying brittle rock allow water to percolate down into the softer rock, and years of freeze-thaw cycles and dissolution of cementing minerals in the soft rock wears that layer way at a much faster pace than it acts on the harder rock. The hard rock will collapse as the eroded rock below it is eroded away, but remnants of it will form a protective cap over the soft rock below it. Within the soft rock there can be layers of varying resistance, which gives the hoodoo a variable diameter below the cap rock.
10-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You always come up with great rugged terrain Bob.--charliezap

10-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #8

Nice images. My favorite is #2 with the trees and hoodoo forms.
I also appreciate the reference to Bo Diddley a blast from the past!
10-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another one of our favorite parks Bob. Thanks for taking me back.
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
A stunning landscape and images.
thanks so much for looking, hard to take a bad photo in these parts.
10-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deaning Quote
Love the texture and colour Bob, in the 1st one what were you doing? Hanging on by your toenails?
Glad you liked the view and you would really like the views and photo opportunities from the view points that are fenced in along the canyon walls. There are several paths also for hikes, the only problem is getting back up, at least for me.
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Nice views Bob. Another place I need to go, almost made it a few years ago, but had to turn back due to bad weather.

The first one looks like it has a strong yellowish to orangish cast on my monitor though. I don't know if that's just me. Is the temperature in the default setting or has the image been warmed up, or maybe it was taken in the late afternoon? The second one looks normally balanced.

A hoodoo is formed when a very soft layer of rock is overlain by a hard, brittle layer. Natural fractures in the overlying brittle rock allow water to percolate down into the softer rock, and years of freeze-thaw cycles and dissolution of cementing minerals in the soft rock wears that layer way at a much faster pace than it acts on the harder rock. The hard rock will collapse as the eroded rock below it is eroded away, but remnants of it will form a protective cap over the soft rock below it. Within the soft rock there can be layers of varying resistance, which gives the hoodoo a variable diameter below the cap rock.
thanks Jerry for adding the hoodoo geology information. I think I had the general idea, but this is a great addition to the thread. The background in the photo looks normal, but it appears the foreground is a warmer color. The only editing other than the presets I have in the camera are when I click on "smart photo fix" in the Corel X2 program. I am trying to get the camera modes set up so I don't have to do much p/p anymore. With our travels I just don't have the time to spend a lot of time editing, which is my weak point anyway. I took this in the landscape camera mode, so will back off a click on contrast and see if that makes a difference next time. The 2nd photo was taken in the "natural" mode and I haven't done any changes to the different selections within that mode if that makes sense. Thanks for looking and bringing that up, more experimentation and play on my side.
10-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
You always come up with great rugged terrain Bob.--charliezap
yeah Charlie, we wander around a lot, get lost often, and sometimes you run into territory like this. This really is rugged country, can't imagine what the pioneer must of thought when first viewing and trying to traverse this area.
10-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
Nice images. My favorite is #2 with the trees and hoodoo forms.
I also appreciate the reference to Bo Diddley a blast from the past!
Ah, you made my day, you caught on to the title, I was hoping someone would. The only other song title would of been from CCR. I appreciate you taking a look and the kind words, take care. Bob
10-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Another one of our favorite parks Bob. Thanks for taking me back.
One of our favorite parks also Susan, lots of turnouts to view the scenery and one way up and one way down, impossible to get lost if you stay on the pavement.