Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fall colors at Morton Aboretum
Lens: Tamron 10-24 mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Morton Aboretum, Illinois ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: chicagojohn, 10-21-2012, 04:19 AM

Just got a Tamron 10-24 mm and started learning how to use it yesterday at Morton Aboretum. Advice appreciated...

Views: 891
10-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice colors. The second one is my favorite. Like the angle you chose.
10-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, slowpez.
10-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vibrant colors and well shot.I left New England just before peak colors and when I get back next month they will be gone.--charliezap

10-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't think you need much training! These are great.
10-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful colours and I really like your composition using low perspectives. The only advice I can give is post more.
10-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you got that wide lens all tuned up I would say, love the autumn colors you captured and great views too.

10-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the encouraging comments; Will definitely try more
The polarizer definitely helped with the color.
10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Lovely colours.
I liked the third photo the best. The composition is spot on.
10-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done the lens seems true to colour and is very sharp.
10-22-2012, 03:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Lovely colours.
I liked the third photo the best. The composition is spot on.
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Well done the lens seems true to colour and is very sharp.
Thanks for commenting. I'm in an Intro to Nature Photography course, and this was our first outing; our teacher, Hank Erdmann, selected this tree for us to use in one of our compositions

I'm happy with the lens thus far, my third Tammy. The 17-50 f2.8 is also sharp with good color and the 90 mm f2.8 macro is probably my favorite lens overall. From my perspective as a hobbiest, Tamron has some decent offerings, at least as far as these three go.
10-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

In addition to a telephoto we are looking for a wide angle lens and this is the one I am arguing for... Very very nice images John. I enjoyed your perspectives and the colours are gorgeous. That is an awesome park bench shot (there is a thread for park benches) and the photo of the large Maple is perfect. My grandparents have a tree just like that one and I have photographed it a hundred times without such a great result. I wonder how wide your were on that? I think I can see ever-so-slightly some barrel distortion, unless the ground is gently sloped. It doesn't matter at all, a perfect shot with the wide angle. Thanks for sharing!
10-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
In addition to a telephoto we are looking for a wide angle lens and this is the one I am arguing for... Very very nice images John. I enjoyed your perspectives and the colours are gorgeous. That is an awesome park bench shot (there is a thread for park benches) and the photo of the large Maple is perfect. My grandparents have a tree just like that one and I have photographed it a hundred times without such a great result. I wonder how wide your were on that? I think I can see ever-so-slightly some barrel distortion, unless the ground is gently sloped. It doesn't matter at all, a perfect shot with the wide angle. Thanks for sharing!
I think the maple to which you refer was probably shot at 11.3 mm (assuming the EXIF data are correct). What I was going for was the best I could get in hyperfocal distance; i.e., maximum DoF so as to incorporate "acceptably sharp" focus in the leaves on the ground close to the camera all the way out to infinity (whatever that is). So I was actually on the ground in the prone position (which for me is not so much a challenge getting there as it is getting back up; which is why I always have a tripod with me) and with a lens like this, tilted up, I think distortion is inevitable (but then again, distortion is always inevitable). Of course there are ways of correcting for that, and thanks to your comment, I tried one after researching it on the internets. The result may not be perfekt, but better?

Last edited by chicagojohn; 10-22-2012 at 07:54 AM.
10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi John, I think the program you found did a great job correcting the barrel distortion. It was an amazing photos even before you leveled the edges. What did you do?
10-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Hi John, I think the program you found did a great job correcting the barrel distortion. It was an amazing photos even before you leveled the edges. What did you do?
Hi tessfully, Glad you like the results. What I did was first to listen to your feedback To be honest, I wasn't sure about how it actually looked, so before I did anything, I went back and checked a number of photos I took of that tree with different compositions, and from those I concluded that your supposition was correct.

Then I looked on-line for information about how to correct distortion using Photoshop. I have CS5, and what I did was to first open the image in Photoshop, then Select > All. Then I used Edit > Transform > Warp and I was able to make the adjustment with that mode to get the horizon flat and straighten out the trunk of the tree near the top, and that made it look very much like it should based upon the other pictures.

Next time I'll try to be more observant. Thanks so much!