Show Printable Version Search this Thread
God and Man
Lens: K105/2.8 Camera: K10D Photo Location: Duke Gardens, NC USA 
Posted By: baro-nite, 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM

Views: 886
10-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, interesting shots. Powerful textures and text. But where is this? I'd like a third photo for some more context, though I guess leaving it a mystery also works in a way.
10-21-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's a sculpture in Duke Gardens, on the Duke University campus in Durham, NC, USA. I'll provide a few more clues if anyone wants to try to guess the quote. Hints: most of these "words" are parts of larger words; one of the words is part of the author's name; the quote fits the location (in a general sense).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-22-2012, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #4

This series is interesting to me apart from the great texture and the contrast and dynamic range from which the letters of the words arise.
But beyond that, because the mind habitually looks for meaning, I find mine being driven back to consider the very essence of language.

That is, there is a certain sense in which your series of images separate language from meaning; and this is a good thing in that it creates a pause in the on-going chain of cause and effect which comprises conventional reality and allow the opportunity, at least, for questions to enter the mind as to what the relationship between language and direct experience actually is.

And in addition to that, there is also the metaphor of "words carved in stone"; in this case powerful words, words assumed to have the most profound meanings. And ones mind can ask wherein those meanings arise; certainly not in the stone or in the light reflected from it alone. It's what happenes after that, isn't it?

As Neil Young observed....

10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks John -- words on stone are indeed very powerful. Presenting them this way was perhaps a bit of a cheap trick on my part, but I couldn't resist!