Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Snow Day = Strobist Day
Posted By: codiac2600, 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM

So it's been snowing like mad here for two days and we've probably set some sort of Illinois record, but it's all good. We were missing one member of the Pentax crew here in town so we made this a strobist day and played with lots of fun lighting! Here are the killer shots from this afternoon and I hope you all enjoy!

Enjoy!
Views: 3,422
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Theres only word to describe these pix... SICK!!!

I going try and taking pictures like this once I get my strobist kit together!
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first 4 are good but not particularly to my taste. Just too up close and personal. I see the DIY project is working well though.
The last set are really good though. Great light and fun shots. The best is #5 and the wrench shots. Great stuff!
02-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by quickpix Quote
Theres only word to describe these pix... SICK!!!

I going try and taking pictures like this once I get my strobist kit together!
Why thank you

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The first 4 are good but not particularly to my taste. Just too up close and personal. I see the DIY project is working well though.
The last set are really good though. Great light and fun shots. The best is #5 and the wrench shots. Great stuff!
Thanks Peter and yeah up front and personal doesn't always work.

02-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #5

Codiac,

What i the actual color of your backdrop? I'm looking at making myself a DIY studio backdrop kit and I'm contemplating color options... I really like the effects that you are getting with gels on yours.
02-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
Codiac,

What i the actual color of your backdrop? I'm looking at making myself a DIY studio backdrop kit and I'm contemplating color options... I really like the effects that you are getting with gels on yours.
The actual colour is Studio Blue. It's basically a deeper shade of blue than the normal blue backdrop.
02-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The actual lighting setup for the images with a purple background:
02-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Chris, very powerful images ...

I can sense my palpitations and sweat emerging out of all my follicles...

Great creativity

02-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Very good Chris and thanks for the setup. That's a softbox light on the right side? Those other 2 flashes (ceiling and rear fill) are your Vivitar 285's?

I just picked up an umbrella with stand (vs a softbox) and think I'll add a shoot through umbrella to the kit. Just seems the shoot through will give a better result. Opinion?
02-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Some cool stuff!! I feel that some of your most daring compositions happen on these days you get bored! LOL! I am really enjoying seeing your ascent towards mastery as you work with off-camera lighting. Keep it up!!

And, I like seeing your studio. I'm slowly putting together something similar that I'll set up in the garage, as needed.
02-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Chris, very powerful images ...

I can sense my palpitations and sweat emerging out of all my follicles...

Great creativity
Thank you James

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Very good Chris and thanks for the setup. That's a softbox light on the right side? Those other 2 flashes (ceiling and rear fill) are your Vivitar 285's?

I just picked up an umbrella with stand (vs a softbox) and think I'll add a shoot through umbrella to the kit. Just seems the shoot through will give a better result. Opinion?
The ceiling is a Promaster 7500EDF and the rear is the Pentax AF540 with a Gary Fong WhaleTail and the right light is a silver umbrella with an AF360.

Yay, I love buying more lighting equipment, every time I do I feel more confident in what I can achieve and will be buying a case of Promaster 7000M flashes soon... yes 10 flashes with GN48 in meters

Shoot through gives you softer light, which is great, but there is a need for soft and hard light so I have a few setups for each.

QuoteOriginally posted by hamidlmt Quote
Some cool stuff!! I feel that some of your most daring compositions happen on these days you get bored! LOL! I am really enjoying seeing your ascent towards mastery as you work with off-camera lighting. Keep it up!!

And, I like seeing your studio. I'm slowly putting together something similar that I'll set up in the garage, as needed.
Thank you Hamid and yeah nothing better than meeting up with friends and experimenting for an entire after noon.

Too bad that image doesn't show all my studio stuff... I think you can see the legs to one of my 360Ws heads and I still have two others and a 180Ws head, plus about 6 more lightstands and a bag full of brackets and gels and other assorted goodness.
02-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #12
axl
Inactive Account

Not my kind of pictures, but I like #3.
That poor bloke looks like if you were holding axe insted of you K10D
Great expresion
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Not my kind of pictures, but I like #3.
That poor bloke looks like if you were holding axe insted of you K10D
Great expresion
Awww.. well I'll make sure to take pics you'll enjoy more this summer, but for now only the studio stuff

Thanks and an axe would make a great prop! Inspired I am!
02-09-2008, 09:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

#1, #3, and the last one are my favs...

The lighting on the first two is perfect for the face, and the comedy of the last one. It's like some mad butcher with a bad 'do coming for ya...
02-09-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
#1, #3, and the last one are my favs...

The lighting on the first two is perfect for the face, and the comedy of the last one. It's like some mad butcher with a bad 'do coming for ya...
Thanks Marc and I'm still waiting for you to catch up buddy, you order those lights yet? C'mon Marc you know you wanna play in the studio

Hey I'll hit you up today after work as I noticed I missed your call today, but I was selling cameras