Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Wandering along the Waterfall Way.
Posted By: Mallee Boy, 02-07-2008, 04:37 PM

A lot of rain has fallen across many parts of Eastern Australia in the last few weeks. So we took a drive along the Waterfall Way in NSW to view the effects.

Here is our pictorial diary of our drive.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 02-14-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Views: 1,452
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Last time I read something about the weather conditions in Oz it was about heat and dryness. Are those problems completely over and forgotten now?

(I mean: can you wash your car again? )

Syb
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Pictorial diary cont.

It rained most of the time, so not the best of light. But, it was spectacular and worth the effort. Many of these falls would be a mere trickle in normal times.
Lens' used were Sig 18-125& 24mm (love it!). Tamron 70-300 (don't think much of it) and Pentax DFA 100 (brilliant, but auto focus gave up in the mist of Ebor Falls....maybe time for weather sealing!!)

02-07-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Rare sighting....

....of the Pentaxus Aurelius.
A very rare and beautiful creature, often sighted in this environment but rarely photographed. Been known to slap unsuspecting photographers on back of head for being cheeky. (and in the room!)
Wonders why I keep talking about new cameras.

02-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Wow. Last time I read something about the weather conditions in Oz it was about heat and dryness. Are those problems completely over and forgotten now?

(I mean: can you wash your car again? )

Syb
Hi Syb,
Some water restrictions have been eased...temporarily, in some parts of Australia. But because governments at all levels, have neglected vital infrastructure such as dams, the water restrictions will return shortly.

Australia is the dryest continent on the planet after all, and our population growth in popular areas has put a lot of pressure on existing water supplies.

So for the time being, on the Gold Coast, at least, we can wash the car. However it bemuses me to see people out with the hose doing so when you can wash a car with a bucket of water.
02-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That first image looks like my backyard at the moment. Not quite ... but my dam is about to break banks though.

The bridge in Windsor is about to be overtaken (about my only main road back to Sydney from home).

But the catchment really isn't getting as much as people had hoped though ... it is rising.

As Grant mentioned though ... the infrastructure is booming ... but there is little in the way of building more catchments ... most of the stormwater washes out to sea and wasted (here in Sydney anyway).

My work ute is getting the best wash it has ever had ... although it gets very muddy on the way out of the driveway of a morning.

The majority of our weather is dry ... we seem to get floods once every 10 years .... it's weird ... I remember 1998 and 1988 has really large flood years for Sydney ... everything inbetween was bone dry ... it works in the cycle by the looks of things.
02-08-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like these waterfalls. It would be great to know how to hunt them down. The places that people hardly go are just really treasure to find.

The volume of the waterfall is just so much more than the victorian counterparts. Really great to see other parts of Australia having such beautiful waterfalls.

p.s. who is that pentax photographer? On the forum too?

02-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots of the raging waterfalls

QuoteQuote:
....of the Pentaxus Aurelius.
A very rare and beautiful creature
Very well spotted indeed, I have yet to see the illusive creature here!