Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Original plus 2 and an extra
Camera: K-7 and K-5 Photo Location: Alaska & NC 
Posted By: slowpez, 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM

The first 3 shots were taken with the K-7 and the last with the K-5. A tripod was used for all of them. I am attempting to put a little more effort into using Lightroom. The first shot is the original image taken with some minor adjustments. The next two are cropped and adjusted using different LR presets with some tweaking added. The last one of Mingus Mill was converted using Lightroom. Any and all C&C is welcomed. All suggestions are welcomed also.

Last edited by slowpez; 11-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Views: 747
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful photos of the mountain. I like the first one. I wish there was something in the foreground to give the picture even more depth.
10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #3

I like the first crop, with the vignette, the best, but all three of the mountain are spectacular with the lighting you have.

The B&W conversion in the mill shot helps to emphasize the lines and patterns.
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
I like the first crop, with the vignette, the best, but all three of the mountain are spectacular with the lighting you have.

The B&W conversion in the mill shot helps to emphasize the lines and patterns.
Thanks john I appreciate your having a look and taking the time to comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Beautiful photos of the mountain. I like the first one. I wish there was something in the foreground to give the picture even more depth.
I agree about needing something in the foreground. I was standing on top of some kind of dirt berm and it was flat all the way to those mountains. Not even a tree. That is mainly why I cropped some of it out. Thanks for the input.

10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beautiful series. The BW one has a certain charm...
10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Susan, they are all lovely images my favourite would be the first conversion. If that would be mine I'd cut a little of the top of the sky but that is me and it does work the way it is.
10-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just love that first one, what a sight to see in person. I think I could of camped in that spot for a month. The b/w reminds me of an early photo taken in the 1920's, nice conversion.

10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Beautiful series. The BW one has a certain charm...
Thanks for the kind comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Susan, they are all lovely images my favourite would be the first conversion. If that would be mine I'd cut a little of the top of the sky but that is me and it does work the way it is.
I did consider that Heinrich but I thought it might have put the mountains in the middle of the frame instead of the lower third. I have another look at that though. Appreciate your kind comment though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I just love that first one, what a sight to see in person. I think I could of camped in that spot for a month. The b/w reminds me of an early photo taken in the 1920's, nice conversion.
Thank you Bob.
10-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The first two are gorgeous and depending on the room, I would hang both on the wall. The light in the first is stunning. The b&w really does something magical with the clouds hanging in the middle of the frame. I would probably have left more foreground in the frame and taken a little off the sky... but without playing around with it that is only a minor suggestion. I love love love the mill... gorgeous rendition. There is something about the sepia image that doesn't resonate for me...

This is a lot of fun to watch Susan... hope you will post some more experiments. Thanks for sharing
10-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
The first two are gorgeous and depending on the room, I would hang both on the wall. The light in the first is stunning. The b&w really does something magical with the clouds hanging in the middle of the frame. I would probably have left more foreground in the frame and taken a little off the sky... but without playing around with it that is only a minor suggestion. I love love love the mill... gorgeous rendition. There is something about the sepia image that doesn't resonate for me...

This is a lot of fun to watch Susan... hope you will post some more experiments. Thanks for sharing
Thanks so much for the input Tess. I really appreciate it. I'm planning to go back and try the crop suggestions both you and Heinrich suggested. I am enjoying playing around with LR as I actually have some time on my hands at present. Thanks again.
10-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hey Susan--nice captures, especially nice light and crisp. I think the mill shot is perfect and very nice. Love the textures and composition.

The mountain shots have great light but suffer from too much less than interesting sky. The mountains are the subject of the shot but the sky dominates. The cropped image works better for me as we see more of the mountains. If you don't have a zoom to get closer, I would search for some sort of foreground interest to add another element to the shot.

Thanks for sharing these.--Marcus
10-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Kauffman Quote
Hey Susan--nice captures, especially nice light and crisp. I think the mill shot is perfect and very nice. Love the textures and composition.

The mountain shots have great light but suffer from too much less than interesting sky. The mountains are the subject of the shot but the sky dominates. The cropped image works better for me as we see more of the mountains. If you don't have a zoom to get closer, I would search for some sort of foreground interest to add another element to the shot.

Thanks for sharing these.--Marcus
Thanks Marcus. It would need one heck of a zoom lens since the mountains are in Fairbanks, AK and I am currently in South Carolina. There really wasn't a foreground element to add interest - I did try.
Appreciate your comment re: the sky. Seems to be the consensus so I went back and cropped most of it out leaving what foreground there is alone. It does look better.
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Such a majestic shot of the mountains there. I liked the third one, but I though since the foreground is a natural yet subdued color, maybe the mountains and sky would look better if their colors were treated similarly to the foreground. I'd try out a very very pale blue sky on that one. I like the composition a lot because you really get a sense of just how massive this mountain is. I also like the really crisp sharp ridge lines.
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Such a majestic shot of the mountains there. I liked the third one, but I though since the foreground is a natural yet subdued color, maybe the mountains and sky would look better if their colors were treated similarly to the foreground. I'd try out a very very pale blue sky on that one. I like the composition a lot because you really get a sense of just how massive this mountain is. I also like the really crisp sharp ridge lines.
Thanks for the input GeoJerry. I appreciate it. I'll give that pale blue sky a try. Sure am enjoying having time to try new things.