Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Androscoggin River Bridge
Lens: 18-55 DA Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Brunswick, ME Aperture: F16 
Posted By: SLThomas, 10-25-2012, 05:28 AM

Among the first efforts with my new K-5, using older 18-55 kit lens (new lens hadn't arrived yet). Constructive comments most welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by SLThomas; 10-25-2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Image not appearing
Views: 805
10-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on the new camera. You are going to love it.
10-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks - I've only been out with it a couple of times, and already love it!
10-26-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh do I know this bridge well! Nice photo of it, too. I was charged by a badger on the Brunswick side many years ago. Enjoy the K-5!

10-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #5

First of all, I just want to make the observation that your image clearly demonstrates the fact that the Pentax 18-55 mm kit lens is an outstanding lens; I have two, one is the weatherproof version.

As for this particular image, the first thing that hit me was the common rust color in the bridge and the oranges in the autumn colors. After that I noted the contrasts of the strong lines of the bridge, which also serves as leading lines into the center of the image, against the fractal leaves and the amorphous clouds which are, in turn, reflected in the ripples of the river. And the vertical reflections in the river also serve as lines that lead into the center of the image.

So in summary, this is an absorbing image for me; there's a lot to see in it.

As for the K-5, I had two K100D Super bodies prior to getting my K-5, and while I really like the K100D's, I love the K-5 and I'm sure you will too. As we Pentaxians say when trying to describe it to Canonites or Nikonians, "It's like the D7000; only better."
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Hello Chicagojohn,

Thanks so much for taking time to comment on both the lens and the photo! I very much appreciate it!

Scott
10-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Another Mainer! Nice shot, I love how the seasons go up here for photography.

My only suggestion is that you might be able to open your aperture a bit - f/16 is a mild overkill and may help attribute to the slightly flat look to the colors you have. You could probably drop down to f/10 or even f/8 without too much trouble and it'll help your IQ a bit.

If the river is a local landmark for you (ie, you'll be taking lots of shots) you might want to invest in a good set of ND filters - I use them occasionally up here on the Kennebec in my part of the world and it gives a really creative bent to how the water looks.

Also also, keep an eye on the aurora forecasts - we've had a number of solar storms cause aurora up here, and Brunswick isn't too far away from lots of great dark sky locations if you don't mind doing a bit of driving.

10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Sagitta,

Thanks for the observations - I'll definitely give them a try!

Scott
10-26-2012, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Another Mainer! Nice shot, I love how the seasons go up here for photography.

My only suggestion is that you might be able to open your aperture a bit - f/16 is a mild overkill and may help attribute to the slightly flat look to the colors you have. You could probably drop down to f/10 or even f/8 without too much trouble and it'll help your IQ a bit.

If the river is a local landmark for you (ie, you'll be taking lots of shots) you might want to invest in a good set of ND filters - I use them occasionally up here on the Kennebec in my part of the world and it gives a really creative bent to how the water looks.

Also also, keep an eye on the aurora forecasts - we've had a number of solar storms cause aurora up here, and Brunswick isn't too far away from lots of great dark sky locations if you don't mind doing a bit of driving.
Hey, I'll be in Augusta for work the first week of November, can you arrange a nice solar storm for us? I doubt there'll be any major tree colors left by then, but the Kennebec does have some very nice bridges to shoot.

Jim