Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
Aperture Wide Open
Posted By: tessfully, 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Fall's glory is over and winter's magic is still at least a month away. I find this in between space really stretches my willingness try different shooting techniques just to see what happens. So yesterday I took out the 50mm, set the aperture to 1.7 and left it there for the whole morning's shoot. I did the same again this morning with the Tamron setting it at f/ 2.8.

It was challenging to get a good shot and my results are mixed. Here are the images I thought either good enough to share, or strange enough to be kind of cool.

Twisting in the wind (50mm, f/ 1.7, 1/125)

Tripper (50mm, f/ 1.7, 1/500)

Brittle and Curled Fern (90mm, f/ 2.8, 1/15)

A couple of hearty flowers...Pansies (90mm, f/2.8, 1/60)

Blanket Flower -- this was the toughest - (90mm, f/ 2.8, 1/320)

Thanks for having a look!

Last edited by tessfully; 10-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Views: 1,726
10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tessfully I really love the first one!! I like very much the detail and the dof!!
Great job!!!

10-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Like these, shallow depth of field can be amazing, it can also go very wrong easily.
Look out tess keep this up and you may find yourself wanting a A or K 50mm F/1.2..

FWIW and IMHO the first three are nice, the last fern shot is a great composition but the overall colour mix doesn't quite grab me. My favorite is the last image, really quite perfect. That plant bit in the lower left is splendid! TFS
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Tessfully I really love the first one!! I like very much the detail and the dof!!
Great job!!!
Thanks for having a look and for the nice comments Garbo!

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Like these, shallow depth of field can be amazing, it can also go very wrong easily.
Look out tess keep this up and you may find yourself wanting a A or K 50mm F/1.2..

FWIW and IMHO the first three are nice, the last fern shot is a great composition but the overall colour mix doesn't quite grab me. My favorite is the last image, really quite perfect. That plant bit in the lower left is splendid! TFS
Thanks for commenting riff! I also found the colours less than pleasing on that shot. I tried to desaturate the greens etc. but nothing worked to change the overall colour mix...so, I decided to see what it looked like black and white. Here is the result....

10-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A great presentation Tess.--charliezap

10-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #20

This definitely does emphasize the form, but to my view it is like desaturating a rose. I prefer the original, quite frankly :P
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I decided to see what it looked like black and white. Here is the result....
Beautiful BW conversion. I would probably try painting some colour back in on the fern only, just for grins. If you have software that does layers. Having said that it sure is a nice conversion!