Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Aperture Wide Open
Lens: Pentax 50mm 1.7, Tamron 90 2.8 macro Camera: K-5 Photo Location: South Algonquin, ON 
Posted By: tessfully, 10-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Fall's glory is over and winter's magic is still at least a month away. I find this in between space really stretches my willingness try different shooting techniques just to see what happens. So yesterday I took out the 50mm, set the aperture to 1.7 and left it there for the whole morning's shoot. I did the same again this morning with the Tamron setting it at f/ 2.8.

It was challenging to get a good shot and my results are mixed. Here are the images I thought either good enough to share, or strange enough to be kind of cool.

Twisting in the wind (50mm, f/ 1.7, 1/125)

Tripper (50mm, f/ 1.7, 1/500)

Brittle and Curled Fern (90mm, f/ 2.8, 1/15)

A couple of hearty flowers...Pansies (90mm, f/2.8, 1/60)

Blanket Flower -- this was the toughest - (90mm, f/ 2.8, 1/320)

Thanks for having a look!

Last edited by tessfully; 10-25-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Views: 1,728
10-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice Tessfully, and challenging! Might have to give it a try.
10-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

besides loving Trippers shot, the twisted fern is very appealing, the blue pansies have such wonderful color.
10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

open aperture, open mind !... you've done well with these I like them all, cheers.

10-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done Tess.

There really is something to be said for setting yourself a restraint and then forcing yourself to be creative within those parameters. You learn to see what the camera sees, not the human eye. Those fern fronds are a good example. At f16 they would I imagine, be a mass of detail with nothing for the eye to focus on. The second one especially so I think. Also your basket flower is a good example. The second layer of petals blurring out, really makes the sharp centre of the flower stand out. I can imagine it was not easy, flowers being uncooperative little things.
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots. I especially liked the portrait of Tripper and the second curled fern. You can almost feel the fern crinkling in your hand!! Great detail in the focal point and very smooth bokeh. Thanks for sharing.
10-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! Even the one of tripper which I was going to exclude initially. It got my vote because the portrait part is so sharp and the background so swirly.

Were they all handheld? I struggle with shots like the last one, even when I stop down a bit.

10-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to say that #1 is one of the coolest pictures I've seen in quite a while. I really like the colors and the way we can see the front of the leaf in focus but not the back. It just pops.

The bokeh looks very unusual to me though, with the round, swirly motif repeating across the out of focus background. What causes that?

I'm seeing posts on here from both the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 105 that seem sharper than anything I've been able to get with my Pentax 100 mm. Maybe I need to practice with it some more, as the reviews rated them all pretty similar. OK so that's my next project.
10-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Viewed with a whole new look and perspective and what an interesting series of shots it is.
10-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well executed shallow DoF.
10-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #11

Stunning images and a very interesting concept. While I love 'em all, I think my favorites are 1, 4, and 6 whith 2, 3, and 5 coming in a close second
Great concept and one I'll definitely have to try soon. Thanks for the wonderful examples.
10-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Checking...jono Quote
Very nice Tessfully, and challenging! Might have to give it a try.
Thank you Jono! It would be fun to have a "club" for this kind of thing so we could share out results. I'd love to see your images if you get around to giving it a shot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
besides loving Trippers shot, the twisted fern is very appealing, the blue pansies have such wonderful color.
Thank you Bob! The season of experimentation is upon us... I look forward to some more of your abstracts too!

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
open aperture, open mind !... you've done well with these I like them all, cheers.
Thanks so much CeeCee!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Well done Tess.

There really is something to be said for setting yourself a restraint and then forcing yourself to be creative within those parameters. You learn to see what the camera sees, not the human eye. Those fern fronds are a good example. At f16 they would I imagine, be a mass of detail with nothing for the eye to focus on. The second one especially so I think. Also your basket flower is a good example. The second layer of petals blurring out, really makes the sharp centre of the flower stand out. I can imagine it was not easy, flowers being uncooperative little things.
Bruce it is so great to read your thoughts on this... that is exactly how I work and why I like primes so much. Working within the limitations of a lens or a setting does set the mind's eye free in a way. I love partial views and what they can convey about the whole. Thank you so much for your thought provoking comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
Great shots. I especially liked the portrait of Tripper and the second curled fern. You can almost feel the fern crinkling in your hand!! Great detail in the focal point and very smooth bokeh. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks fotogaffer! Trip always takes such a nice photo, but I found the richness of his eye and the background especially pleasing in this one. The ferns were a happy surprise. Thank you for commenting

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Wow! Even the one of tripper which I was going to exclude initially. It got my vote because the portrait part is so sharp and the background so swirly.

Were they all handheld? I struggle with shots like the last one, even when I stop down a bit.
Hey Marc, only the first two were handheld, the rest were on tripod. I took at least two dozen shots of that flower. I really wanted the angle where it was looking up at the sun, but I could not nail the focus, even at f/11. I got it at f/16 but by then the background was so messy the photo was not pleasing. So I had to put the camera directly over the flower so there was a level plane in order to get the focus with at f/2.8. The compromise was the composition. Thanks for having a look and for giving Tripper a vote

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I have to say that #1 is one of the coolest pictures I've seen in quite a while. I really like the colors and the way we can see the front of the leaf in focus but not the back. It just pops.

The bokeh looks very unusual to me though, with the round, swirly motif repeating across the out of focus background. What causes that?

I'm seeing posts on here from both the Tamron 90 and the Sigma 105 that seem sharper than anything I've been able to get with my Pentax 100 mm. Maybe I need to practice with it some more, as the reviews rated them all pretty similar. OK so that's my next project.
Hi Jerry, that swirly bokeh comes from that lens. It is amazing when using a narrow depth of field. Every time I use the 50mm f/ 1.7 I wonder why I don't use it more. It is not an expensive lens and it takes such amazing photos with the most gorgeous and unusual bokeh. The Tamron is a lens I use consistently so I am very comfortable with it... it took lots of practice to start getting really sharp images and I always have to use a tripod for the close-ups to work out. Still, I had to take dozens to get one I liked of that blanket flower.

I am so happy you liked that first one... it is kind of idiosyncratic, eh!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Viewed with a whole new look and perspective and what an interesting series of shots it is.
Thank you eaglem! I am so glad you liked them.

QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Well executed shallow DoF.
Thank you for having a look and for the nice comment Trevor!
10-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
Stunning images and a very interesting concept. While I love 'em all, I think my favorites are 1, 4, and 6 whith 2, 3, and 5 coming in a close second
Great concept and one I'll definitely have to try soon. Thanks for the wonderful examples.

Hi John! You slipped in while I was writing above. Thank you for the high praise and picking a favourite I hope you do give it a shot!
10-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Wow Tess. Another series of wonderful shots. Your eye and perspective on photography just amazes me. Can't pick a favorite but those ferns. Oh my!
10-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Wow Tess. Another series of wonderful shots. Your eye and perspective on photography just amazes me. Can't pick a favorite but those ferns. Oh my!
Thanks Susan!! I wake up too early and as I lie there I try to think up different things to try with the camera while on my dog walk. Sometimes they are too goofy to share, sometimes I am surprised by the outcomes. I am glad you like these. They have really grown on me! I think I should crop that second fern so that it is sitting more on the bottom of the frame.