Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
cat by Pentax67
Lens: SMCP67 90mm Camera: PENTAX67 
Posted By: sakurasaku, 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Her name is "chako".
Photographed by hand held PENTAX67 (f5.6,1/60) with RVP100.

She is a good model.

Attached Images

Views: 1,195
10-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lovely cat & very nice shot
cheers
10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To be honest...when I see 6x7 format I expect to see something unique and remarkable....

The cat is OK...I would not waste my film on this...P&S camera would do better...
10-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
lovely cat & very nice shot
cheers
Thank you very.much. She is playing around in the park.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
To be honest...when I see 6x7 format I expect to see something unique and remarkable....

The cat is OK...I would not waste my film on this...P&S camera would do better...
Thank you for your comment.
Yes. It looks not good.

Please let me excuse.
I scanned it at 2 AM. And drinking beer after shower.

10-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is unnecessarily harsh. I also disagree that a P&S would do better. The exposure is good, the DOF is great, the subject is sharp where is counts - especially highlighting the colour in the eyes. I really like the unusual perspective, too. A P&S camera would probably have blown out the background or made the cat too dark. Maybe the photo isn't to your taste, Vasyl, but was this criticism really needed?

To the original poster - please don't take Vasyl's negativity to heart!
10-28-2012, 03:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I think this is unnecessarily harsh. I also disagree that a P&S would do better. The exposure is good, the DOF is great, the subject is sharp where is counts - especially highlighting the colour in the eyes. I really like the unusual perspective, too. A P&S camera would probably have blown out the background or made the cat too dark. Maybe the photo isn't to your taste, Vasyl, but was this criticism really needed?

To the original poster - please don't take Vasyl's negativity to heart!
Thank yuo ,RobG.
Sccanning is as important as shooting. When I see this film with light box and loope, it is much better than good I posted.
Nowadays many people don't know about film photo.

But it is OK. I don't maind at all.
I scanned thie film again. (not so better? )
Attached Images

10-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sakurasaku Quote
Thank yuo ,RobG.
どういたしまして。

QuoteQuote:
Scanning is as important as shooting. When I see this film with light box and loope, it is much better than good I posted.
Nowadays many people don't know about film photo.
はい。 そうですね。 What scanner and scanning software are you using? I have an Epson for non-35mm film which I use with Vuescan. It usually does a good job of getting the colours right.

QuoteQuote:
But it is OK. I don't maind at all. I scanned thie film again. (not so better? )
I think the first was better (いちばんがいちばん). The second scan is too dark and the shadow detail is lost. がんばってさくらさくさん!
(pardon my poor Japanese)
The image seems to have a magenta colour cast to me.

Last edited by RobG; 10-28-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: more info
10-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I also like the first one better, as the shadows are not as harsh and that front foot sitting in the bottom corner of the frame is appealing and cute. I also like the eyes better in the first. It is a very nice kitty shot with perfect depth of field. thank you for sharing

10-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the first shot better also. The angle is nice too. Good job.
10-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
ありがとうございます。ボブさん
I scanned EPSON GT-X900 flatbed scanner and softwear is one with scanner. The film is Velvia100.

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I also like the first one better, as the shadows are not as harsh and that front foot sitting in the bottom corner of the frame is appealing and cute. I also like the eyes better in the first. It is a very nice kitty shot with perfect depth of field. thank you for sharing
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I like the first shot better also. The angle is nice too. Good job.
Thank you, teesfully and slowpez.
From now on I will scan with drinking...
It is diificult to scan both blue sky and shadow on cat at the same time.
10-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #11

I like it. Just the fact people still do film is great. I would like to learn film.
10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow, ouch...lol...Well, all I can say is some of us actually do think cats are rather unique and remarkable creatures well worth photographing. I'm of a mind that cats are elegant creatures, walking works of art actually, so I can't say I ever think any photograph of a cat is a waste of film, and this one was actually quite lovely. I like the unusual angle. The colors were nicely done and she's a rather beautiful cat besides. What's not to like? In any case it's the original poster's film to "waste" now isn't it? To the OP. My advice? Frame the lovely cat shot, put it up on the wall and enjoy!!!!
10-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Its a great shot. Very sharp in all the right places and lovely bokeh. Great composition too... like it a lot
10-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sakurasaku Quote
ありがとうございます。ボブさん
I scanned EPSON GT-X900 flatbed scanner and softwear is one with scanner. The film is Velvia100.
OK, the model is supported by Vuescan. You can try Vuescan without buying it - you'll just get watermarks on the scan. You may find that it works better than the OEM software and in particular may give you access to more of the scanner's dynamic range. If it doesn't work for you, there's still the OEM software. Most scanners will struggle with shadows in slide film, and Velvia is extremely dense. You may have better results using colour negative film, because its density is much lower than slide film.

QuoteQuote:
It is diificult to scan both blue sky and shadow on cat at the same time.
The dynamic range issue is due to the combination of a flatbed scanner and slide film. Any images which are under exposed or with high contrast will make the shadows challenging. Of course, slide film tends to work best when under-exposed slightly! Vuescan is able to output 16 bits per channel, while most OEM software will only output 8 bits per channel. Having all the data from the scanner may help to get more from the shadows.
10-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
OK, the model is supported by Vuescan. You can try Vuescan without buying it - you'll just get watermarks on the scan. You may find that it works better than the OEM software and in particular may give you access to more of the scanner's dynamic range. If it doesn't work for you, there's still the OEM software. Most scanners will struggle with shadows in slide film, and Velvia is extremely dense. You may have better results using colour negative film, because its density is much lower than slide film.

Thank you very much,RobGさん!
I checked the web site of Vuescan now.
I will download it and try to use for my scanning. Thank you.