Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Being a Creep... [Street Photography Series]
Lens: DA 40 Limited Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Chicago 
Posted By: Julie, 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Some attempts at street photography from today... I think I did pretty well with being discrete, none of these people seemed to notice me except for one lady that gave me an evil look...
I also have two rolls of film to develop, shot with Minolta 7000 and Vivitar Series 1 13mm f/2.8 that I can't wait to develop and see how they turned out.

I'm kind of new to this, so any tips/suggestions are welcome.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Julie; 10-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Views: 1,097
10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow, I am impressed. You should post in the 'Capture a stranger, street style' thread.
10-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are good.

You asked for tips/suggestions. I understand your "Being a Creep" feeling. Soon after I joined this forum, I noticed https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html in the Mini-Challenges, Games and Photo Stories area and thought that it might be a bit creepy, invasion of privacy, etc. But when I looked into it, I discovered that it's not at all creepy. I recommend that you take a look at the thread and pay particular attention to jgredline who started the thread. There are many other contributors who do good work, but he started the thread and he seems to me to be the boldest of the bold. He also demonstrates that if you have the right attitude, most people don't mind having their photo taken. Sometimes they don't even notice you when you take a close up.

e.g. I had to go into the city in June and took my K-5 with FA 77. It's a combination that doesn't attract much attention. I held it up to my eye and took these shots. Some people noticed me; some didn't. If you're in an area where you could expect tourists, then someone with a camera doesn't stand out. There was a union demonstration on the other side of the road and that took most people's attention. I know it's bad form to post shots in other people's threads, but I'm doing this in the hope that you can gain some confidence. If I can do it, then you can too.

The guy on the left noticed, but he wasn't worried.

Nobody noticed.

Nobody noticed, not even the blonde woman I focused on.

The tall guy noticed, but he wasn't worried. The guy in the front didn't notice because he had other things on his mind

It can depend where you are, so be informed. Read what the experts have to say.

There are also several posts in various other areas of the forum that link to articles about street photography.
10-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Wow, I am impressed. You should post in the 'Capture a stranger, street style' thread.
Thanks! I'll look into that.

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
These are good.

You asked for tips/suggestions. I understand your "Being a Creep" feeling. Soon after I joined this forum, I noticed https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/43981...eet-style.html in the Mini-Challenges, Games and Photo Stories area and thought that it might be a bit creepy, invasion of privacy, etc. But when I looked into it, I discovered that it's not at all creepy. I recommend that you take a look at the thread and pay particular attention to jgredline who started the thread. There are many other contributors who do good work, but he started the thread and he seems to me to be the boldest of the bold. He also demonstrates that if you have the right attitude, most people don't mind having their photo taken. Sometimes they don't even notice you when you take a close up.

e.g. I had to go into the city in June and took my K-5 with FA 77. It's a combination that doesn't attract much attention. I held it up to my eye and took these shots. Some people noticed me; some didn't. If you're in an area where you could expect tourists, then someone with a camera doesn't stand out. There was a union demonstration on the other side of the road and that took most people's attention. I know it's bad form to post shots in other people's threads, but I'm doing this in the hope that you can gain some confidence. If I can do it, then you can too.

The guy on the left noticed, but he wasn't worried.

Nobody noticed.

Nobody noticed, not even the blonde woman I focused on.

The tall guy noticed, but he wasn't worried. The guy in the front didn't notice because he had other things on his mind

It can depend where you are, so be informed. Read what the experts have to say.

There are also several posts in various other areas of the forum that link to articles about street photography.
Thanks for the info and your examples.

My method was to keep my eye to the viewfinder, focus on someone and if they looked, pretended to be focusing on something further back behind them. Then, after I took the photo, I would keep my eye on the VF for a few seconds longer to not make it obvious that I had stolen a quick photo of them.

10-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice work, Julie (and Richard). Photographing people in the street has a long and honourable history, but in recent times we've been bullied by a small group of noisy people pushing a privacy agenda, largely by riding on the backs of the unreasoning fear of paedophiles or stalkers. This has taken the place of people in earlier days fearing that the camera would steal their souls. There isn't a great deal of difference between the two, in my view.

I do acknowledge that there are some people with sincerely-held safety fears of being identified in a photo - it's just that I don't think that should stop this aspect of recording human society for the future.

So, keep up the good work. It isn't creepy or an invasion of privacy if it's in a public place. If you're concerned about some people's privacy, then don't publish it if anyone objects, and strip out any GPS data in digital files' EXIF if you do, but don't be deterred from doing it. Future generations deserve it, and we shouldn't be bullied out of it.
10-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried this too, and it ain't easy.

Anyone who has tried it would probably like reading the free e-books by Thomas Leuthard on the subject. He pretty much reduces this to a science and an underlying philosophy.
A good starting point would be "Going Candid" which you can download several places including http://book.85mm.ch/GoingCandid.pdf

The other two I've read by him are "Collecting Souls", his second book which perhaps covers more of the philosophy, and the third one, "Street Faces"

While his approach is controversial, the photographic techniques he describes are worth knowing, and I found that his explicit treatment of the underlying issues of privacy etc. helped me to clarify and understand my own principles which most definitely differ from his.
10-27-2012, 06:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, for a newby these are just excellent. I think you caught some very candid and interesting images. I think when peoples faces are all scrunched up looking in to the distance or looking at their devices or whatever, they are not aware of you at all. But, as in Richard's blonde woman, there might be a subconscious awareness of your camera. I *think* I see that subconscious in faces when I look at street photography. There are those who pretend they are not taking your pictures and those who pretend they don't know you are taking their pictures. That is one of the reason's I love looking at these photos.

I hope to see more of your work Julie. I enjoyed this series very much!!
10-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Very nice work, Julie (and Richard). Photographing people in the street has a long and honourable history, but in recent times we've been bullied by a small group of noisy people pushing a privacy agenda, largely by riding on the backs of the unreasoning fear of paedophiles or stalkers. This has taken the place of people in earlier days fearing that the camera would steal their souls. There isn't a great deal of difference between the two, in my view.

I do acknowledge that there are some people with sincerely-held safety fears of being identified in a photo - it's just that I don't think that should stop this aspect of recording human society for the future.

So, keep up the good work. It isn't creepy or an invasion of privacy if it's in a public place. If you're concerned about some people's privacy, then don't publish it if anyone objects, and strip out any GPS data in digital files' EXIF if you do, but don't be deterred from doing it. Future generations deserve it, and we shouldn't be bullied out of it.
You're right, these aren't creepy. The OP even titled the article Being a Creep. Even in jest, this is part of the problem. Innocent photography, art, is being vilified; and the photographer even feels a bit of guilt, or anxiety, about taking photos in public. I think we all know a creep shot when we see one, and these aren't. The problem is changing the mind of the public at large. I've read, from several forum members, that they've been confronted by subjects who have backed off once they actually saw the photos. They tend to offer to email them the final results and end up making someone, who felt violated, happy.

10-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I absolutely love that next to last shot with the crosswalk and truck in the background. I very rarely try street photography (OK, people on the street photography, I have tons of shots of.. uh... streets) because I get self conscious.

Last edited by Sagitta; 10-27-2012 at 11:24 AM.
10-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Julie, you have posted some very good photography here and as others have said nothing about it is creepy. I am a couple of generations ahead of you and when I was your age did my fair share of "street photography" and no one objected. It was considered an art form and "creepy" didn't even come into anyone's mind. In the last few years I have had a couple of incidents were people objected, talked to them, showed them what I took and all was good except in one case and I said I would not use the image. Don't ever delete an image just because someone ask you to, if it is taken in a public place the image is yours, no one else's.
10-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

very nice work Julie. I like that one with the truck and the tall buildings as well. reminds me of henri c breson. the one shot between the shoulders of the 2 working on laptops was nicely exposed, looking thru the window like that.

da40 is nice choice for this work, less initimidating than some big lens, and k30 fits that image as well. I use a da21 when i do this sort of thing, i don't even have to use the viewfinder to shoot with a 21, but 40 would give one more reach.

i read one tip where if someone notices, you just raise your hand and wave at them like an old friend.
10-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

superlative series... such a wide range of emotions... the homeless gent is a very poignant shot... thoroughly enjoyed these! dave m
10-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Very impressive! I recently discovered the 100 Strangers project, a great way to overcome the shyness of asking to photograph people, there are some great stories from some of the 8000+ photographers participating. This probably isn't street photography strictly speaking but interesting none the less.
10-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I find the bigger the city is the easier, if I catch someones eye I keep the camera up and pretend to shoot past them as if they were in the way of my shot