Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
The Ruth Pit...
Lens: DA 18-55 AL II Camera: Kx Photo Location: Ely, Nv 
Posted By: jkwhawk, 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM

A view of the Ruth Pit at the Robinson Project outside Ely, Nv. Copper, silver and gold are recovered here. To get an idea of the size of the operation, the yellow machines in the center are the huge shovels of the type used in all large pit operations. The black dots on the roads are the earth-moving trucks with the 10' tall tires.

Last edited by jkwhawk; 06-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Views: 626
10-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jim, that is an impressive image of a seemingly huge operation. How long has it been there?
10-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, nice shot. I am always amazed (and not necessarily thrilled) at how much people change landscapes for all sorts of purposes. Nice shot
10-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Jim, that is an impressive image of a seemingly huge operation. How long has it been there?
Thanks, Heinrich. To make a long story as short as possible: Mining activity first started in 1903. Kennecott Copper took over in 1933. By 1955, the operation had increased to the point where the town of Ruth was moved so the area of the town site could be mined. This continued until 1978 when Kennecott closed the operation. The mine was opened again from 1996-1999. In 2004, the project was reopened as the Robinson Mine and is still going full speed ahead. Some of the silver and gold recovery is coming from tailings. The mine has produced a trillion pounds of copper. Jim

10-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Wow, nice shot. I am always amazed (and not necessarily thrilled) at how much people change landscapes for all sorts of purposes. Nice shot
Thanks! I agree with your comment, but someone has had a need for a trillion pounds of copper. And for an operation this size, this is very nicely recovered. I guess there is no easy answer. Jim
10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's gold in them there hills, well a little bit I guess. Now that is one big hole Jim, great shot of this massive operation.
10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
There's gold in them there hills, well a little bit I guess. Now that is one big hole Jim, great shot of this massive operation.
Thanks, Bob. The locals helped me out on this or I would never have known it was there. And I, for sure, wouldn't have driven across 3 miles of mine property to find the overlook.
10-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You've captured the grand size of the excavation very well - it's huge!

What also impresses me with this image is the engineering that was done to accomplish something like this while keeping it safe. It also looks as if the site is kept clean and done as responsibly as possible. Also, thanks for the short history of the mine - makes the image all that much more interesting for me.

10-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
You've captured the grand size of the excavation very well - it's huge!

What also impresses me with this image is the engineering that was done to accomplish something like this while keeping it safe. It also looks as if the site is kept clean and done as responsibly as possible. Also, thanks for the short history of the mine - makes the image all that much more interesting for me.
Thanks! I kind of stumbled on to this location and found it very interesting. Happy to share. Jim
10-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Amazing image. Glad you included the heavy equipment in the frame as it really gives it a sense of scale as you already knew.
10-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks!! It's really impressive in person. Jim