Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few more from Whitehorse
Lens: 18-135 Camera: K 5 Photo Location: Yukon, Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Driving by the DC3-weathervane one day I did a double take and had to stop and take another look. here it is:

And here is the explanation:

Only in the Yukon eh?

Waiting to be restored

Leftover from 1942

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 1,514
10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heinrich, is the large equipment leftover from the Alaska Highway construction?
10-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That last shot is sweet, a little HDR? TFS!
10-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots, some impressive machinery there. I once visited Whitehorse, its quite a special place

10-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That 1st image is terrific Heinrich. I find it sad that old airplanes are used that way.
10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that is one of the coolest things i've ever laid eyes on.... if i had a few acres of land.... i'd have to have that dc-3 in my front yard...
of course, the wife would kill me... entertaining series, thanks! dave m
10-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Hi Bob, yes that is what I understand.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
That last shot is sweet, a little HDR? TFS!
Thank you, no HDR just highlight-shadow adjusted. I keep being amazed by the dynamic range of the K 5.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Nice shots, some impressive machinery there. I once visited Whitehorse, its quite a special place
Thank you and yes it is a special place indeed.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
That 1st image is terrific Heinrich. I find it sad that old airplanes are used that way.
Thank you, most of them are rotting away some where, I rather have them restored were we and future generations can have a look at what once flew in the skies.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
that is one of the coolest things I've ever laid eyes on.... if i had a few acres of land.... I'd have to have that dc-3 in my front yard...
of course, the wife would kill me... entertaining series, thanks! dave m
Hi dave and thank you. Front yard eh? wouldn't work, I'd be in the same boat as you

Take care,

10-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots of the overland train. Thanks. It brought back a lot of memories. There was one in the bone yard at ft. Wainwright out side Fairbanks When I was stationed there
10-28-2012, 06:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow Heinrich, another really engaging series! Very cool discovery... my grandmother would have loved those knitted images. You did an amazing job shooting the machinery, capturing its size. Thanks again for taking us there!
10-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The yarn bombing was fascinating Heinrich. The last shot is amazing. Enjoyed the series very much.
10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Nice shots of the overland train. Thanks. It brought back a lot of memories. There was one in the bone yard at ft. Wainwright out side Fairbanks When I was stationed there
Thank you and you are welcome. It is amazing the stuff that is still rotting away in places that one would never think of.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Wow Heinrich, another really engaging series! Very cool discovery... my grandmother would have loved those knitted images. You did an amazing job shooting the machinery, capturing its size. Thanks again for taking us there!
Hi Tess, thank you and you are welcome. When we first saw that DC 3 covered with something I looked twice and pulled into the parking lot. Than it sort of made sense but it did take a few minutes to get used to it.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
The yarn bombing was fascinating Heinrich. The last shot is amazing. Enjoyed the series very much.
Thank you Susan, I'm told the yarn bombing stayed on the DC 3 for two weeks, for some people that was two weeks too long, I didn't mind it at all.

Take care,
10-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I'm thinking no. I have a book on the construction of the AlCan, and there is no mention or pictures of anything like that in there. I suspect it came after the highway was built, but may have been used for maintenance of the highway as maintaining it was (and is) a constant job. Looks more like a piece of equipment from the early 50's.
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I'm thinking no. I have a book on the construction of the AlCan, and there is no mention or pictures of anything like that in there. I suspect it came after the highway was built, but may have been used for maintenance of the highway as maintaining it was (and is) a constant job. Looks more like a piece of equipment from the early 50's.
Could have also been used in the building of the Canol road (Alaska Highway to Norman Wells, NWT.)
10-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
This seems to be the same one that you saw. Projects | Yukon Transportation Museum

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The anwser seems to be this: Projects | Yukon Transportation Museum
10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #15

I'm not sure what could spark the imagination to start a project like this, but this is the coolest thing I've seen in awhile. Thanks for posting!!

Jim