Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WIDE depth of field
Lens: Pentax 50 1.7 Camera: K5 Photo Location: South Algonquin, Ontario ISO: 400 Aperture: F22 
Posted By: tessfully, 10-29-2012, 08:30 PM

With a week of rain and wind I am feeling pent up photographically speaking. So, with nothing better to do with my camera off I went today with my dogs, umbrella and the limitations of the 50mm lens and an aperture set at f/22. This shoot was not intuitive for me... not like the f/1.7 experiment was... no keepers but fun to share anyway. Thanks for having a look!

p.s. I hope everyone in the path of Sandy is safe and doing okay...

At a tiny stream, a tiny falls

ISO 400 f/22 5.0s

underwater log and leaves

ISO 400 f/22 0.5s

Tripper

ISO 1600 f/22 1/4

Machinery

ISO 400 F/22 1/6

a small pond

IS0 400 f/22 1/8

Last edited by tessfully; 10-30-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Views: 1,155
10-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought you said there were no keepers? What are these then? Chopped liver? I think you did quite well given your self imposed limitations. We learn a lot more about our gear shooting that way.
10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you can throw all of your no keepers my way, I like these Tess. Why did you decide on f/22 and did you shoot these all on manual with you selecting the SS?
10-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
#2 is awesome! Great composition and color. Should be hanging in a studio somewhere.

10-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No keepers eh, Tess, there are some really nice images here, especially the second and the last one. I haven't done this self imposed thing in a long time maybe it's time to do it again.
10-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, really nice images, especially the second and the last. The colours in the last image are great.
10-30-2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I thought you said there were no keepers? What are these then? Chopped liver? I think you did quite well given your self imposed limitations. We learn a lot more about our gear shooting that way.
Thanks for having a look and for the comments! I should have said, I have nothing here I would want to print. Limitations give me something to shoot for and I learn a lot.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
you can throw all of your no keepers my way, I like these Tess. Why did you decide on f/22 and did you shoot these all on manual with you selecting the SS?
Hi Bob, setting the aperture and forcing myself to shoot inside that depth of field is just a field exercise. I did the same with F/1.7. Here I adjusted the ISO and ev and used a tripod. I will go back and add in the SS which was very slow given the day. I am lucky any turned out. Thanks for the nice comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
#2 is awesome! Great composition and color. Should be hanging in a studio somewhere.
Thanks Jerry! We have a similar way of seeing

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
No keepers eh, Tess, there are some really nice images here, especially the second and the last one. I haven't done this self imposed thing in a long time maybe it's time to do it again.
Thank you very much Heinrich. I encourage you to give it a shot. Changes up the minds eye which is not a bad thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Yes, really nice images, especially the second and the last. The colours in the last image are great.
haha... Thank you riff!

I accidentally selected the f/18 image for the first shot, so I am going to change it to the f/22 version as well as add in the particulars with each shot. Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

10-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Nice shooting Tess.Now that the storm is mostly over for the Boston area I can relax here in Florida and enjoy the rest of my vacation.--charliezap
10-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you Tess for adding the SS, now I see what you were doing, turned out really great.
10-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I really love the shot of Tripper and the final shot!! I rarely shoot at very small apertures and I think it would be fun to go out and give it a try some time. Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing these wonderful photos, Tess!!
10-31-2012, 05:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shooting Tess.Now that the storm is mostly over for the Boston area I can relax here in Florida and enjoy the rest of my vacation.--charliezap
That is great Charlie. I have been enjoying your vacation pics! Could you anticipate retirement being this much fun??

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thank you Tess for adding the SS, now I see what you were doing, turned out really great.
Thank you Bob. I have some P.S. abstracts for you...coming soon

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I really love the shot of Tripper and the final shot!! I rarely shoot at very small apertures and I think it would be fun to go out and give it a try some time. Thank you for the inspiration and for sharing these wonderful photos, Tess!!
Thanks for having a look Lori... it really was counter intuitive for me and I had to really think hard about foreground and composition. I sure look forward to some sunshine though. It has been two weeks of rainy grey days.