Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Liard River Hot Springs part 1
Lens: 18-135 and 55-300 Camera: K 5 Photo Location: British Columbia, Canada 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 10-30-2012, 08:38 PM

One can not drive the Alaska Highway and not stop at the Liard Hot Springs, so we stayed 2 nights (reservations recommended) Here are a few images from that stay:

The pools are almost dry, wonder how the fish survive

We have stopped here quite a number of times in the past but this time the water flow was really low and the pool was way cooler than
what we were used to, very enjoyable just the same.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 1,224
10-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would of never thought of low water/drought in BC. We have a pupfish in the Death Valley area which can live in small ponds, they lay eggs in sand and then the pools dry up, the fish are hatched when water appears again, hope I have that right. I wonder if the chub fish is something like that. Love that last photo, really looks inviting.
10-31-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really rugged landscape there, very nice set and those hot springs look really tempting it is very cold here today.
10-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you for posting these interesting and beautiful photos Heinrich. You have piqued my interest in the ecology of the area and of the fish. I wonder if drought is part of a normal larger cycle. I will have to look it up. Thanks for sharing

10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I would of never thought of low water/drought in BC. We have a pupfish in the Death Valley area which can live in small ponds, they lay eggs in sand and then the pools dry up, the fish are hatched when water appears again, hope I have that right. I wonder if the chub fish is something like that. Love that last photo, really looks inviting.
Thank you Bob, I have no idea of why the water was low, seems to have had enough rain but for whatever reason the Hot Springs don't seem to put out what they used to, watch for my next post.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by snappychappy Quote
I really rugged landscape there, very nice set and those hot springs look really tempting it is very cold here today.
Thank you Steve and yes right now I wouldn't mind being at the Springs, it's -8 Celsius and snowing.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thank you for posting these interesting and beautiful photos Heinrich. You have piqued my interest in the ecology of the area and of the fish. I wonder if drought is part of a normal larger cycle. I will have to look it up. Thanks for sharing
Thank you kindly Tess and you are welcome.

Take care,
10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Heinrich, here is a link to the pupfish I was telling you about. Bob
Deset Pupfish DesertUSA
10-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My anti virus protector won't let me go there.

11-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We spent some time there too Heinrich. The water was much higher and the hot end of the springs was waaaaaay to hot. Thanks for taking me back.
11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
We spent some time there too Heinrich. The water was much higher and the hot end of the springs was waaaaaay to hot. Thanks for taking me back.
Thank you Susan, on past visits I have never made it past the first steps, as you say waaaaaaaaaay to hot.

Take care,