Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  
Deer Lodge Montana Train Park
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Deer Lodge is a wonderful Montana small town, population of 3500, hard working friendly folks. We stayed a couple of days in the town to view their 4 top notch museums. They also have a small train park with a Milwaukee Road "Little Joe" electric locomotive which I had never seen one in person. Just sitting here in the park under the wire this electric locomotives graceful classic lines is really something to see. The engineer’s window on both ends has an all weather windows installed. Sitting beside the Little Joe was a Milwaukee Road E9 passenger diesel locomotive painted in the roads last passenger colors, the yellow, gray and red of the Union Pacific. No railroad park display is complete without a caboose. This is the brightest, cleanest road caboose I have ever seen, restored beautifully this is a bay window model. i was able to take interior photos, a lot of people haven't seen what they look like inside so I thought I would share it.

Attached Images

Views: 4,292
10-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
Great pics Bob.
Boy - They really maintain those old chunks of steel. Love the interior view of the caboose, as I've never seen the inside of one.

Tim
Too bad the caboose is not needed now Tim, it was replaced by an "End of Train Device" EOTD on the end of the train. The engineer monitors brake pressure and in an emergency can set the air brakes at the rear of the train via remote control . You may have seen the red flashing device on the end of the train, that is what I am talking about.

10-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sakurasaku Quote
Thank you for shareing. It is interesting!
I ,as travellers, had a little chance to see the trains in the US.

good old days
One thing you have is some great bullet trains, come back to the US and view more of our great country when you have a chance.
10-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
That electric engine is massive!

I like the idea of the bay window caboose - you could sit in that seat and actually be able to see forward as the train was moving.
A caboose with a view, doesn't get any better than that Stan. In the front there are a couple of bunks on the left and toilet facilities on the right and don't forget that wood burning stove to stay warm on those cold winter nights.
11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I like that caboose with the crossing sign.
thanks Kyle, I tried to get that in frame for the photo. There are some great museums that you would enjoy here

11-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

What a great series!
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcjohn Quote
What a great series!
thank you and glad you enjoyed the views, Welcome to the forum. Bob
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Jeff, we try to get off the interstates as much as possible and visit as many smaller towns as possible. That is where America is in heart I think.
Great shots of one of my favorite subjects. That E9 has only been there for a couple years I believe. I love driving down the back roads as much as I can. You can see a whole lot more from them than you can from the interstates

11-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWitte Quote
Great shots of one of my favorite subjects. That E9 has only been there for a couple years I believe. I love driving down the back roads as much as I can. You can see a whole lot more from them than you can from the interstates
thanks for looking Duane, July 2010 it was moved in. Here is a quick video, Welcome to PF. Bob
11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bob, that are wonderful images of beautifully restored rolling stock, love that Caboose. It's funny when one sees stuff in museums and in historic villages that at one time one still actually used. Must be getting old.
11-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Bob, that are wonderful images of beautifully restored rolling stock, love that Caboose. It's funny when one sees stuff in museums and in historic villages that at one time one still actually used. Must be getting old.
or what is even worse Heinrich, I was an electrical apprentice and worked for Santa Fe RR and worked on the caboose' that were in service at the time, we even had a few of the old steamers in the yard. Now those were cool.