Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Deer Lodge Montana Train Park
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Montana 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 10-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Deer Lodge is a wonderful Montana small town, population of 3500, hard working friendly folks. We stayed a couple of days in the town to view their 4 top notch museums. They also have a small train park with a Milwaukee Road "Little Joe" electric locomotive which I had never seen one in person. Just sitting here in the park under the wire this electric locomotives graceful classic lines is really something to see. The engineer’s window on both ends has an all weather windows installed. Sitting beside the Little Joe was a Milwaukee Road E9 passenger diesel locomotive painted in the roads last passenger colors, the yellow, gray and red of the Union Pacific. No railroad park display is complete without a caboose. This is the brightest, cleanest road caboose I have ever seen, restored beautifully this is a bay window model. i was able to take interior photos, a lot of people haven't seen what they look like inside so I thought I would share it.

Attached Images

Views: 4,268
10-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Fantastic! Great photos. Glad you got a peek inside!
10-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are neat images of the engines and caboose Bob. The "Little Joe's" were named after Stalin. I'll have to put Deer Lodge on my to shoot list. Parts of the Milwaukee's right of way is still visible along with a few of the pads for the catenary towers along US 12. I think a lot of towns along the route were caught by surprise when they just shutdown. Now they're just shadows of their former selves.

Last edited by wtlwdwgn; 10-30-2012 at 10:38 PM.
10-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Fantastic! Great photos. Glad you got a peek inside!
If I see a train Will, I always stop and take a look, glad you enjoyed the view also.

10-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
These are neat images of the engines and caboose Bob. The "Little Joe's" were named after Stalin. I'll have to put Deer Lodge on my to shoot list. Parts of the Milwaukee's right of way is still visible along with a few of the pads for the catenary towers along US 12. I think a lot of towns along the route were caught by surprise when they just shutdown. Now they're just shadows of their former selves.
thanks for the interesting info Steve, really adds to the thread. I believe this unit was made for Russia, but the cold war put a stop on shipment if I remember right. You'll be surprised at how much this small town has to offer, the museums were all great.
10-31-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

TFS, Bob. Little gems like this park in a small town aren't likely to be on anyone's travel plans, but are the kinds of things you'll find if you take your time and look around. That is some beautiful equipment and a fascinating slice of history.
10-31-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks so much for the great photos and story Bob. I love the colour of the train and you compositions make it jump off my screen! One day when you are old and settled down you can put together a book of your travels. People who plan for vacations or plan to RV for a number of years could learn so much from your experiences and places visited.

10-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

A very interesting historical shoot Bob.-charliezap
10-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great pics Bob.
Boy - They really maintain those old chunks of steel. Love the interior view of the caboose, as I've never seen the inside of one.

Tim
10-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
Thank you for shareing. It is interesting!
I ,as travellers, had a little chance to see the trains in the US.

good old days
10-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
TFS, Bob. Little gems like this park in a small town aren't likely to be on anyone's travel plans, but are the kinds of things you'll find if you take your time and look around. That is some beautiful equipment and a fascinating slice of history.
Jeff, we try to get off the interstates as much as possible and visit as many smaller towns as possible. That is where America is in heart I think.
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Thanks so much for the great photos and story Bob. I love the colour of the train and you compositions make it jump off my screen! One day when you are old and settled down you can put together a book of your travels. People who plan for vacations or plan to RV for a number of years could learn so much from your experiences and places visited.
thank you Tess, these trains were in pretty good shape compared to many other I have seen. Terri keeps a manuscript on all of our travels and backs them up with photos, but there are so many travel books out anymore I don't think it would be worth the effort. As long as we can share our travels with friends, the forum and family that makes us happy.
10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A very interesting historical shoot Bob.-charliezap
we enjoy viewing different areas Charlie and then researching the history behind it. It sort of keeps us busy as we travel. thanks for looking.
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

That electric engine is massive!

I like the idea of the bay window caboose - you could sit in that seat and actually be able to see forward as the train was moving.
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like that caboose with the crossing sign.