Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Octodome + softbox dog portraits
Posted By: hamidlmt, 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM

I just picked up a Photoflex Octodome to compliment my Photoflex medium softbox. Both use 1000w Starlite bulbs.

In anticipation of a model shoot, I slapped up a black muslin in the garage and brought out my favorite test subject...

With Octodome alone (camera left)

Octodome and softbox (behind, camera right)

Views: 2,090
02-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice I like the second one much more . #1 lower left side is a little too dark. #2 if the nose was in focus as well it would have been perfect. Well done.
02-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Dave comments on both shots, that the DOF is a bit too shallow. Of course a dog has a nose almost as prominent as he does and that's tough (Had to take the jab (new wide lens post) when the opportunity presents itself Dave) I might not have cropped the right ear quite so tight either but that's nit picking.

The lighting is really great with the second shot, perfect colour and sharpness. With every post, you are getting better and better.
02-08-2008, 11:04 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice I like the second one much more . #1 lower left side is a little too dark. #2 if the nose was in focus as well it would have been perfect. Well done.
I'm really into very shallow depths of field.... makes me giddy.

Thanks for your thoughts!

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I agree with Dave comments on both shots, that the DOF is a bit too shallow. Of course a dog has a nose almost as prominent as he does and that's tough (Had to take the jab (new wide lens post) when the opportunity presents itself Dave) I might not have cropped the right ear quite so tight either but that's nit picking.

The lighting is really great with the second shot, perfect colour and sharpness. With every post, you are getting better and better.
Thanks Peter! These certainly weren't meant to be great works of art.... just 2 minutes with the dog and the lights before my model showed up.

02-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice pooch pics.

I really like the second one... Nice pics.. You are lucky to have such a patient helper.. LOL. How do you get him to set so still....???

Kim
02-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The eyes always convey something interesting. Besides the narrow depth of field creating a bit of blurred nose, the protraits are nicely done.
02-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
I really like the second one... Nice pics.. You are lucky to have such a patient helper.. LOL. How do you get him to set so still....???

Kim
Thanks Kim! Chaya is a very patient subject. A year and a half of constant training and a ball in my free hand.... I can get her to do just about whatever I want!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
The eyes always convey something interesting. Besides the narrow depth of field creating a bit of blurred nose, the protraits are nicely done.
Thanks! Yes... dof is very shallow at these focal lengths! Which, is why I love it.... the subject are the eyes... not necessarily the whole dog.