Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Some more filter fun!
Lens: DA*16-50 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Hindeloopen, the Netherlands ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: Above 6s 
Posted By: Fries, 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Some time ago I posted my first results from using my 10 stops ND filter over here. One of the photo's even ended up in the premiere selection of the Pentax Photo Gallery! A few day's ago I returned to the same location and arrived a bit to late as the light was really fading away at the end. As a result the first photo was rather underexposed. Anyway, these are some of the results.

Cheers,

Remco

1. Foamy coast

2. Go with the flow..

3. Go with the flow...2

4. Reflections

5. Foamy inlett

Views: 1,114
11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #2

amazing!! BTW. Where is the beam of white light coming from in your last picture?
11-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
great, great, great! all of them are spectacular, but 1, 4, and 5 are magnificent!
11-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All great Remco, #1 is a knockout for me even if underexposed as you say. What f/stops did you use or recommend and how long are the exposures generally?

11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful images. You did a great job and, underexposed or not, the first one is as gorgeous as the rest.
11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shooting! The 16-50 is my goto lens 75% of the time. It's just so handy and sharp!
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eryson Quote
amazing!! BTW. Where is the beam of white light coming from in your last picture?
Thanks eryson! That beam is created by the exhaust fumes of a jet airliner.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
great, great, great! all of them are spectacular, but 1, 4, and 5 are magnificent!
Causey, thanks! I'm glad you like them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
All great Remco, #1 is a knockout for me even if underexposed as you say. What f/stops did you use or recommend and how long are the exposures generally?
Thanks Bob! Normally with normal light late in the afternoon, evening or morning F8, and a 30 seconds exposure ( with the infrared/wireless mirror up function) with 80 ISO works alright for me if you focus carefully. If you don't you usually end up with a part of the photo out of focus. The third photo is a good example of not focussing carefully because only the stuff up front is really sharp. When I started out shooting that afternoon, I was shooting with a pretty strong sun in the frame and a stopped down all the way to F16 to maintain a long shutter speed. It is a trade off because you run the the risk of introducing some diffraction problems with the overall sharpness of the photo. I try to stay between F8- and F11 for landscapes.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Beautiful images. You did a great job and, underexposed or not, the first one is as gorgeous as the rest.
Susan, thank you very much!

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shooting! The 16-50 is my goto lens 75% of the time. It's just so handy and sharp!
Thanks! The 16-50 is the first quality lens I bought and is my most used lens to. But there are times I achieve results with the DA21mm that I can't reproduce with the 16-50. Strange isn't is?! But especially with the wet climate over here (and the fact that my ND filter only fits on the 16-50) I have absolutely no regrets about buying this lens.

Cheers,

Remco

11-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Some time ago I posted my first results from using my 10 stops ND filter over here. One of the photo's even ended up in the premiere selection of the Pentax Photo Gallery! A few day's ago I returned to the same location and arrived a bit to late as the light was really fading away at the end. As a result the first photo was rather underexposed. Anyway, these are some of the results.

Awesome from top to bottom. Got myself an ND just a week ago but as of yet no real good opportunity to try it out properly. Looking forward to it even more now, inspired by your work. // Nick
11-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks Remco, I appreciate you taking the time to explain, I'll give it a try,
11-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A total pleasure to view! TFS
11-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

All evocative images, but the fist is the best for me. It has an end-of-the-world kind of look to me, very surreal.
11-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every one of these is a gem, Remco. I especially dig the first one.

Jer
11-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
thanks Remco, I appreciate you taking the time to explain, I'll give it a try,
Glad to help and good luck! If you have any questions just PM me and I'll try to answer them.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
A total pleasure to view! TFS
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
All evocative images, but the fist is the best for me. It has an end-of-the-world kind of look to me, very surreal.
It does have a bit of dramatic feel I agree. You might like these ones to: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/189848-misc-filterfun.html

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Every one of these is a gem, Remco. I especially dig the first one.

Jer
Jer, thanks! The first one is my favorite to.

Cheers,

Remco
11-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I am a big fan of your work Remco... these are very evocative... so well done! Congrats on getting into the Premier Gallery!!
11-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Tess!