Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Anniversary
Posted By: bluespearbone, 02-08-2008, 11:06 PM

This month sees the first year of my K100D possesion complete - only wish I had taken more shots.
Amongst the pleasures of ownership, is the find of this forum, which has obviously helped me a lot.
Intend to post some of shots here, from that first year, where advice and C+C will be most welcome.
Don't worry about being harsh - am very much enjoying the (never-ending) learning curve.

Was scheduled for a trip to Venice, the K100D arrived a few days before so I rushed out to buy a camera bag and tripod. My first lesson of mistake - cheap bag with tripod included (a flimsy-rickety thing). Soon realised I also needed a shutter release...

So, the first post, taken in the evening of the camera's first outing on the night of a scheduled lunar eclipse. Unfortunately for this idiot, the temptation and gluttony of the fine foods and wine put to rest the notion of returning at the correct time.

Have done some PP on this shot - wb, perspective transform and cloned out a bit of flare near the bell-tower. Set the kit lens to 21mm (with permanent Hoya UV 0.75 attached), camera was on full auto-pilot mode, where it chose ISO 800: 6sec @ f9.5.

Evening fall at Piazza San Marco
Attachment 8318

Last edited by bluespearbone; 03-12-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Views: 2,978
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok here's my critique:
1)....
2)....
3)....

Humm I guess I like it just the way it is. Great shot and nice job with the PP. I really like the deep blue of the sky contrasted against the tower. The moon glow is very nice.

BTW, if you want to avoid flare a bit more, take off the UV. The hood will do a fine jub of protecting the lens and the flare was most likely internal reflections between the front element and the filter.

Fine picture from the kit lens. There are always more Lunar Eclipses but how often do you get to drink too much Italian wine in Venice??
02-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter.

Next shot was the first of the morning after. An early start, the hotel receptionist told, with disappointment, that it was a foggy dawn.
When I got outside, just couldn't believe my luck - no disappointment here, just plenty of opportunity to goof it.

Kit Lens at 50mm, Camera on Auto
ISO 800: 1/15 sec @ f5.6

Backstreet Mist
Attachment 8324

Again, advice and C+C is always welcome

02-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Love this typical mist in venice. The water and the ambience are all well captured.

02-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bluespearbone Quote
Evening fall at Piazza San Marco
Very nice, though I would level it (going be the ground/building line) as the tilt to the left is a little distracting.
02-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Backstreet Mist is another very good shot. Like the colours and mood captured here.
02-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter and Roentarre

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Very nice, though I would level it (going be the ground/building line) as the
tilt to the left is a little distracting.
Thanks for tip SpecialK; will try to fix that with some kind of free transform, as my position in the piazza was near a corner - a simple angle crop throws it all off.

Next one is another attempt to capture the fog that morning. Once on the pc, the diffused backlit scene and lack of colour pushed an inclination to greyscale, then felt it could benefit from a tint. Applied what I saw as sepia-like trying to keep the historic ambience.

Kit Lens at 55mm, Camera Mode: Auto
ISO 400: 1/90 sec @ f8

New Day in Venice
Attachment 8349

Please keep the Advice+C+C coming.
Thanks

02-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Again a great shot. I think I'd clone out the bird and his shadow. Everthing is soft and subtle in this shot and I'd say the bird is a bit of a distraction. The first shot looks straight enough to me.
02-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I think I'd clone out the bird and his shadow. Everthing is soft and subtle in this shot and I'd say the bird is a bit of a distraction.
Thanks Peter, not least for your patience, you are being a great help. Will have a go at cloning the pigeon out cleanly.

Will take a break from the fog thing for this post with a couple of out-takes (i.e. heavily cropped).
The first one was taken in portrait, but on review cropped to landscape. (Am using the right terms?).

Kit Lens at 40mm, Camera Mode Auto
ISO 800: 1/20 sec @ f5.6

Watercolours
Attachment 8365

Done some PP; Saturated a little and some noise erduction. Why bother?
Because I liked the reflected shape of the crumbling facia blending with the reflection of the boat, which in its own line complimented the reflection of the bridge arch. Also liked the painted look of the reflection.
Could this image benefit with some experienced PP advice?

The second is a less than two thirds crop of the original.

Kit Lens at 18mm, Camera Mode Auto
ISO 200: 1/1000 sec @ f8

Due Home
Attachment 8366

There is something I like about the image from this crop - not sure what, but do. The original had too much nothing to the left and below.
With so much original data gone, can this image be made good?

Maybe these images are just products of hope. Perhaps now is a good time to ask you folk to help pick losers and keepers.
Opinions, Advice and C+C most welcome and don't holdback - worst that can happen is am saved the cost of printing the unnecessary

Last edited by bluespearbone; 03-12-2008 at 11:44 PM.
02-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Not much I would say about these 2. Both nice shots. I do like the last one and hope the file is still big enough for printing to a decent size. As for the cropped canal, how about this?
Attachment 8367

There must be some thoughts from others here?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-18-2008 at 09:30 AM.
02-10-2008, 11:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again Peter, am queuing your suggestions and advice on fixes, so much to learn this first year and no doubt the next, also have to get more familiar with PP - hope that doesn't sound like a grumble, very much enjoying it.

Back to the early morning shots

Kit Lens at 43mm, Camera Mode Auto
ISO 800: 1/45 sec @ f6.7

Scullers' Rest
Attachment 8378

Keep, Fix, Ditch? Advice and C+C most welcome in filtering out the keepers (and those to learn from)

02-11-2008, 03:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I like it but what really matters is whether you like it. If you are happy with what you're getting then print it and hang it in your den. My favourite shot is one that nobody thinks is all that great. I still like the shot.

Me too on the PP thing. I use Paint.net which is similar to GIMP and has much of what PS has. I am learning new stuff with that almost every time I use it. I plan to take a University course on it this fall.
02-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again Pete, you're being a star. Must admit that am finding the sifting through of last years shots while passing critical judgement difficult, which is why I appreciate any help from you folk. Hope this gets easier with experience (surely it must).

Still with that lucky first morning, considered this for your Weekly Challenge #46 : B&W, but figured i didn't know enough about B&W processing not to goof it. What PP I did attempt was the cloning out off a piece of pale board on top of one the kiosks (second one in from the right).

Kit Lens at 43mm, Camera Mode Auto
ISO 400: 1/45 sec @f6.7

Morning Stroll
Attachment 8397

Would this one favour B&W, or do the lamps kill the shot anyway?
Thanks in advance to to anyone with their comments.

02-14-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't find these "boring" at all. In fact, they bring back some very nice memories. My wife, 2 sons, and I spent a week in Italy (Vicenza (sp?), Venice, Livorno, Florence, Pisa, and Rome) the last year we lived in Europe. It was a glorious week -- I think I still have about 10 lbs I gained that week!
02-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think Pere has done a good job on critiqueing the shots. Overall I think they were great, and I love most of the fog/mist pictures the best. Of the others the one with the boat in tha arch is the best. Great job, I hope I learn as much as you have in my first year with my K10d. This post is good to help on refining our novice eyes in my opinion.