Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ore Carriers
Lens: 16-45 and 18-135 Camera: K 5 - K20 Photo Location: Yukon, Canada and Alaska USA 
Posted By: Heinrich Lohmann, 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

I was looking through my files for my next post from the Yukon trip when I came acros these. These trucks haul Copper ore (gold and silver as by-pruducts) from the mine in Minto, Yukon to Skagway, Alaska for shipment to Asia.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated.
Views: 1,599
11-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there must really be some weight being hauled with all of those axles. I bet it is jake brake on all the way down.

Last edited by Bob Harris; 11-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.
11-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
38 wheels. What a load! Takes a lot of guts to drive with that kind of cargo I would imagine.
11-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Nice shots Heinrich.That truck escape ramp intrigues me.-charliezap

11-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
there must really be some weight being hauled with all of those axles. I bet it is jake brake on all the way down.
Hi Bob, I have no idea how heavy they are, must be quite a load though and I'm sure that yu are right about the brakes.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
38 wheels. What a load! Takes a lot of guts to drive with that kind of cargo I would imagine.
Thanks Susan, it's not bad in the Summer but Winter driving through the Coastel Mountains is something else again......

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice shots Heinrich.That truck escape ramp intrigues me.-charliezap
Thank you Charlie, Truck escape ramps are common in the mountains on steep downhill grades and have save many a life. It's just a step uphill ramp (gravel) on which to stop a runaway vehicle. A few years back we saw a large class A motor home on one.

Take care,
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Interesting pictures Heinrich... I wonder what kind of road taxes those guys pay. It's amazing there's a road left after they've been over it.
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Norm.....I have no idea what taxes they pay but the roads do take a terrible beating from them. All in all the Yukon Territorial Government keeps the road in really decent shape, there are the usual frost heaves in some areas but heck we are talking extreme climatic conditions.

Take care,