Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Arctic Winter Sunset.......[2 IMG]
Posted By: Duplo, 02-09-2008, 03:45 PM

After a good day with a loong walk, a splendid lunch with a good friend and the realisation that temperatures close to -20F is not really that bad.

I grabbed my K10D, a termo with hot coffe and set out to one of my favourite snowfields.

My back against the wind, a sip of hot coffe and watching this amazing display travelling towards the horizon:

(K10D - DA14)

(K10D - DA21ltd)

Great way to spend a saturday evening just me, a snowfield and the setting sun

Comments and critics are as always appreciated
Views: 6,626
02-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Neat shots. I'm glad you don't think that -20F is horrendously cold. Me? I think +20F is horrendously cold. I don't think I'd do too well in Greenland!

02-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nice shots ! I wonder if those big long lenses let me shoot those with my thin blood tail still in warm California
02-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Wow amazing shot Thomas. I'd love to see that one in the PPG. I'd have a tough time picking which one though. They are both wonderful.
Thank you LaRee.
Submitted both, only the 14mm one left right now.
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Wow, truely breath taking shot. A great photograph for motivation classes.
Thank you Roentarre, appreciate your kind comment.
QuoteOriginally posted by choiboi Quote
Amazing shots. I love Greenland! One of the few places I must go, one day..
It is an amazing place for sure... responsible for probably the best 27 months of my life.
THanks for liking my shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Most excellent captures Thomas. And I beg to differ -20F is COLD! -20F was the temperature at which all outside classes/field excursions were cancelled when I was going to Forestry school. -20F is when it starts to hurt to breathe if you don't have some sort of scarf/face mask on. I speak from experience. But to each his own, and you are probably used to it by now.
They truly are beautiful captures, but what impresses me most of all is that you changed lenses!

NaCl(now that's a dedicated photographer!)H2O
Hi NaCl(Thank you man)H2O,
I know what I meant by that statement is that if you dress right it is actually quite OK... cold yes, but as long as you keep your hands inside the gloves it is OK.
You actually gets used to breathe after about half an hour and can do without but agreed sunbathing is not an option these days
I would say that I have found a system that works for beign outside in these temperatures for a prolonged amount of time, the right clothing and a 3 glove concept that works for me.
Thank you so much for your kind compliments.
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Wow great captures Duplo - those are simply stunning.
Thank you for your kind compliment Dave.
02-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Way wicked man. Its almost dreamlike scenery the way you've captured it. These kind of shots make it worthwhile to brave the conditions. Cant add much more to whats already been said so... wow!
Thank you.
It was an amazing sunset alright.
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Nice to see you visiting and shareing Thomas. Been missing those great Greenland shots. Again 2 fantastic images. The exposures in both are excellent, with whites that look well err WHITE! Beautiful pastel colours as if painted and not photographed.

IMO #2 is the better shot. 1 is great but he snow is slightly blown out right in the middle of the shot and #2 doesn't suffer that at all. Plus I think the contrast in 2 is a bit better (more detail in the snow) and you have a hint of the sky's colours in the snow surface as well.

So can you give us some background on the new job is going and what you're doing?
Thank you Peter.
Whitebalance and snow is something no camera does right, not even a CWB in camera is perfect... but RAW is the key here.
The snow in shot one is not blown out in the large tiff I have prepared for print.
The pastel colours are quite common in our skies up here around sunset and sunrise, they are muted but rather intense. I love the arctics for that alone.

Well I have done my first full day of work and have a very happy client. The new system performed way better than expected.

It was a full day event and a portrait session (I actually was not prepared for that, but I got through it).
Have spend some time scouting locations for some of the large print stuff they are expecting from me too,,,, but it will be a couple of months before I shoot them, the sun is not in the right position before around May. another shot will have to wait until June, but I already have the location scouted. It requires the sun and the moon to cooperate and I have a 5 day window where that happens (So I keep my fingers crossed for cooperative weather goods in June.

Thanks for your detailed critics of the photos, very useful to me.
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
-20 F, that's ca. -29 degrees Celsius! I have experienced that before, that's cold all right - I surely hope it was not too windy!

I really like the mood in those photos, they earn well to be printed and hanged on the wall!
Thank you for liking the shots.
-29C is cold, but luckily not too windy, so with my bag to the wind it was actually pretty OK
Today I worked on a shoreline facing north and even though it only read -22C, then the strong wind made it much worse than yesterday. My eyebrows, eyelashes and beard were fully covered with ice from my breath. but I bagged the shots I needed

02-10-2008, 04:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Neat shots. I'm glad you don't think that -20F is horrendously cold. Me? I think +20F is horrendously cold. I don't think I'd do too well in Greenland!
Thank you Betsy.
I love the arctic climate, but I can easily understand if it is not for everyone

QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Nice shots ! I wonder if those big long lenses let me shoot those with my thin blood tail still in warm California

Thank you for liking them.
02-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Oh man....Beautiful! Shots like these could make a person wish he lived in Greenland...well..almost.
02-10-2008, 08:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scott-devon Quote
Oh man....Beautiful! Shots like these could make a person wish he lived in Greenland...well..almost.
Thank you Scott.

Well for me it is home

02-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

great shots!

that first one, just makes me feel...alone...and cold....
02-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots Duplo. I really like the ring that comes out in the sky from the sun.

Jim
02-11-2008, 07:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Those are absolutely great! You should take a shot at putting together a book of your landscapes/snowscapes/Northern Lights pictures. From what I've seen on here, you certainly have enough for a great gallery show.
02-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
great shots!

that first one, just makes me feel...alone...and cold....
Thank you Jon.
It was cold, but I actually like the solitude.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Great shots Duplo. I really like the ring that comes out in the sky from the sun.

Jim
Thank you Jim.
THe halo was a first for me... but it was amazing to watch.

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
Those are absolutely great! You should take a shot at putting together a book of your landscapes/snowscapes/Northern Lights pictures. From what I've seen on here, you certainly have enough for a great gallery show.
Thank you Peter,
I am working on getting enough material for a book of Greenlandic landscapes... I do have quite a few shots planned to not complete but build up a suitable collection of photos.
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very, very nice Thomas and thanks for posting them.

Take care, Heinrich
02-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Nice photos, I have seen this Sun halo many times while flying in the arctic. BTW, our temperature in Edmonton hit -36c a few days ago, still had to go to work and kids to school. I love the envirement in the North, been to Thules on many occasions but worked mostly out and around Alert, northern tip of Ellesmere island. Coldest temperature encountered was below -53c with 20 km wind. It was colder but my gauge was pegged at 53. Standing outside for more than 3 hours, 160 km from North pole. Some would think it is a lousy place to be but the scenery is something only a few get to ever experience.
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Very, very nice Thomas and thanks for posting them.

Take care, Heinrich
Thank you Heinrich,
Both for complimenting and commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
Nice photos, I have seen this Sun halo many times while flying in the arctic. BTW, our temperature in Edmonton hit -36c a few days ago, still had to go to work and kids to school. I love the envirement in the North, been to Thules on many occasions but worked mostly out and around Alert, northern tip of Ellesmere island. Coldest temperature encountered was below -53c with 20 km wind. It was colder but my gauge was pegged at 53. Standing outside for more than 3 hours, 160 km from North pole. Some would think it is a lousy place to be but the scenery is something only a few get to ever experience.
Thank you Dennis.
First time for me and it was an amazing sight.

You have had some great expereinces for sure. Thule is amazing.
Greenland has been hit with the strongest winter since 1983.
Kangerlussuaq or Sonderstrom had -51C friday.
The disco bay has frozen over for the first time in years.
Even the fiords around Nuuk has started to freeze over.
Thanks for sharing your experiences... Sounds amazing.
Would love to see photos from your trips, if you do not mind sharing them.
02-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Spectacular shots. You truly have a great place for photography.