Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Arctic Winter Sunset.......[2 IMG]
Posted By: Duplo, 02-09-2008, 03:45 PM

After a good day with a loong walk, a splendid lunch with a good friend and the realisation that temperatures close to -20F is not really that bad.

I grabbed my K10D, a termo with hot coffe and set out to one of my favourite snowfields.

My back against the wind, a sip of hot coffe and watching this amazing display travelling towards the horizon:

(K10D - DA14)

(K10D - DA21ltd)

Great way to spend a saturday evening just me, a snowfield and the setting sun

Comments and critics are as always appreciated
Views: 7,018
02-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just logged on, saw your name and had to look before I looked at anything else. Duplo this is great, it really does show a beautiful but "relaxed" landscape. Wonderful arch around the sun.
02-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #3

Wow. ... that's all I can say... Wow...
02-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Duplo great work and man you are brave out there in that cold. I am amazed at the ring the sun formed. Amazing whites and sharp shot. nice work

02-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Totally awesome. Totally.
02-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Oddly, I was just thinking that we hadn't seen any great Greenland shots from Duplo -- must be too cold outdoors for him!

Nope... -20F (okay I had to do a conversion to international units for it to make sense to me) and there you are, Thomas. I think I like the first shot a bit more, the shapes in the foreground snow seem to tell me how windswept it is. Incredible colours, an amazing country and a gifted photographer.
02-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weatherwise2 Quote
I just logged on, saw your name and had to look before I looked at anything else. Duplo this is great, it really does show a beautiful but "relaxed" landscape. Wonderful arch around the sun.
Thank you, a most kind and appreciated compliment.

I am glad to hear it relayed my feelings when being there.

QuoteOriginally posted by paden501 Quote
Wow. ... that's all I can say... Wow...
Thank you.
Both for the compliment and the comment.

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Duplo great work and man you are brave out there in that cold. I am amazed at the ring the sun formed. Amazing whites and sharp shot. nice work
Thank you Pat.
Always appreciate your kind compliments.
I have never seen the sun with a halo like that before. it was an amazing display and I was overjoyed by having the time and opportunity to be out there enjoying it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Totally awesome. Totally.
Thank you nester, appreciate your kind compliment.
QuoteOriginally posted by G M Fude Quote
Oddly, I was just thinking that we hadn't seen any great Greenland shots from Duplo -- must be too cold outdoors for him!

Nope... -20F (okay I had to do a conversion to international units for it to make sense to me) and there you are, Thomas. I think I like the first shot a bit more, the shapes in the foreground snow seem to tell me how windswept it is. Incredible colours, an amazing country and a gifted photographer.
Thank you so much steve.
Appreciate your kind words
I am with you on the first one being the better of the two.

I have spend a lot of time travelling this winter and I am currently running a two system setup, so part of my shots are not posted here and many has been work for clients that prefer them not being posted online.

I m outside almost daily and love this arctic winter weather
The upcomming week is with a task of finding a new pair of snowshoes, the old ones has been worn down...

02-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow amazing shot Thomas. I'd love to see that one in the PPG. I'd have a tough time picking which one though. They are both wonderful.
02-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, truely breath taking shot. A great photograph for motivation classes.
02-10-2008, 05:57 AM   #10

Amazing shots. I love Greenland! One of the few places I must go, one day..
02-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most excellent captures Thomas. And I beg to differ -20F is COLD! -20F was the temperature at which all outside classes/field excursions were cancelled when I was going to Forestry school. -20F is when it starts to hurt to breathe if you don't have some sort of scarf/face mask on. I speak from experience. But to each his own, and you are probably used to it by now.
They truly are beautiful captures, but what impresses me most of all is that you changed lenses!

NaCl(now that's a dedicated photographer!)H2O
02-10-2008, 07:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Wow great captures Duplo - those are simply stunning.
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Way wicked man. Its almost dreamlike scenery the way you've captured it. These kind of shots make it worthwhile to brave the conditions. Cant add much more to whats already been said so... wow!
02-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice to see you visiting and shareing Thomas. Been missing those great Greenland shots. Again 2 fantastic images. The exposures in both are excellent, with whites that look well err WHITE! Beautiful pastel colours as if painted and not photographed.

IMO #2 is the better shot. 1 is great but he snow is slightly blown out right in the middle of the shot and #2 doesn't suffer that at all. Plus I think the contrast in 2 is a bit better (more detail in the snow) and you have a hint of the sky's colours in the snow surface as well.

So can you give us some background on the new job is going and what you're doing?
02-10-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

-20 F, that's ca. -29 degrees Celsius! I have experienced that before, that's cold all right - I surely hope it was not too windy!

I really like the mood in those photos, they earn well to be printed and hanged on the wall!