Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Parting shots
Lens: Tamron Adaptall 40A Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Mt. Shasta, CA USA 
Posted By: WillH, 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM

Couple of the last photos I took up on Mt. Shasta. Rather hostile! Typical for a volcano. Not a lot a shade for climbers!

Views: 1,195
11-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicely done, Will
11-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Nicely done, Will
Thanks Albert. Was interesting watching that cloud form behind the rock formation in the last shot! Amazing. At one time there was a ski bowl there, but an avalanche took out the chair lift and the ski lodge burned down. Tragic all around. Anyhoo, they didn't rebuild. My wife and I both learned to ski there in the 60's. The new ski bowl/park is down the mountain.
11-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That second shot is great! What was the temperature up there at the top? And at the base?

11-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
That second shot is great! What was the temperature up there at the top? And at the base?
Jerry, where I was standing to take those pictures you can't see the top of the mountain, that's another 6,000' climb. It would take a reasonably fit individual 8-9 hours to summit from where I was standing. At 10,000' the air starts getting thin tends to slow most people down a tad.

Temperature, where I took the photos was about 55 degrees, at the base of the mountain it was probably 75 degrees F. The temperature at the summit I would guess to be around 40 degrees F.
11-08-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for these ! Saves me the climb seen on top now lol great pics !
11-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

nice photos Will, great detail in these, I'm out of breath just thinking a bout it.
cheers.
11-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice.

11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
nice photos Will, great detail in these, I'm out of breath just thinking a bout it.
cheers.
Thanks Cee Cee! Because there are no other mountains of similar height near Mt Shasta it has fabulous views from the summit! The problem is getting there. I made it a few times but only have one picture of me at the summit as proof. The climb is not impossible but it is challenging. Seems every year a few people died on Mt. Shasta for various reasons, but general it's because they exercised poor judgment. The climate can change instantly. The day can start clear and perfect but a cloud formation can form at the summit in minutes that has proven deadly to many climbers. One just needs to be careful and observant!.

Thanks Slopez and windmill.

A tragic photo:
This photo was taken in the mid 70's near the summit! If you look very closely you can just make out two climbers, far below the climber behind me, on a small ridge line at the base of a rock formation. Those two climbers were doctors from San Francisco. My fellow climber and I decided the weather was changing to rapidly to continue to the summit so we turned back. We stopped and talked with the two climbers coming up and warned them not to continue.......they continued to climb despite our warning. They both died on the mountain.

Last edited by WillH; 11-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.
11-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Great images of a very rugged and inhospitable landscape. I always wonder what makes people risk their lives to reach the summit.... I can understand wanting to make it, but not turning back when you know bad weather is upon you is just beyond me...

Thanks so much for sharing.
11-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Great images of a very rugged and inhospitable landscape. I always wonder what makes people risk their lives to reach the summit.... I can understand wanting to make it, but not turning back when you know bad weather is upon you is just beyond me...

Thanks so much for sharing.
You're right! Another issue is the cost! The wildness areas are hurting for funds to maintain trials and such. One rescue will eat up $100,000 easily - usually much more! Such a waste when some common sense would prevent 99% of the accidents! I also read where volunteers took several hundred pounds of human trash and waste from the mountain last year! Sad!
11-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great series of this beautiful mountain Will. I think most of the rescued hikers are referred to as "experienced" on local networks, I wonder about that.
11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Great series of this beautiful mountain Will. I think most of the rescued hikers are referred to as "experienced" on local networks, I wonder about that.
Bob, you are correct! I made 7 (seven) runs for the summit and only made it three times! My gawd, what a view from up there! It's impossible to describe! I wasn't rescued once - up and down under my own power each time? No government assistance........up or down! Stopped trying after this climb.

Picture at the summit sometime during the late 1970's

Last edited by WillH; 11-10-2012 at 05:20 PM.
11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Great set of shots Will - so beautiful and deadly at the same time!

It must be really something to look back at your pics from your climbs in the 70's.
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great set of shots Will - so beautiful and deadly at the same time!

It must be really something to look back at your pics from your climbs in the 70's.
Stan, you are right! I have forty years of pictures on film and slides. I need to digitize the lot. Whenever I start, Patty and I start reminiscing and end up getting nothing done! But it's fun! I must have hundreds of photos of Mt. Shasta, Scotland, England, Germany and this ranch! Need a good photo scanner and some wintery days!