Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This only happens in the movies
Lens: 18-250 Pentax Camera: k5 
Posted By: charliezap, 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM

A friend of mine from General Electric-- his wife lost a family gold diamond ring($2000-$3000) while doing yard work several weeks ago.She tried with a metal detector for a whole day and couldn't find it.I said that I would give it a try when I got home from vacation with my detector.Now the story gets good.She showed me the area where she lost it and I turned on my detector and the yard was filled with metallic hits.I thought that this was going to be a long day.I have a hand proximity wand that beeps when you are around 1" from a metal object and when I showed him how it works he put the trowel in the ground where I told him to and up pops the ring.She was crying and I was in shock.This happened less than 5 minutes after I got there.We killed 2 bottles of homemade wine and in retrospect this day was something special for all of us.--charliezap

Attached Images

Views: 1,160
11-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Now that's a great story with illustration to boot!
11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pass some of those good vibes onto Bob; he had a rough time at the tables in Vegas!
11-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Pass some of those good vibes onto Bob; he had a rough time at the tables in Vegas!
Some people have all the luck Jeff, I'll have to take Charlie with me next time.

11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
A friend of mine from General Electric-- his wife lost a family gold diamond ring($2000-$3000) while doing yard work several weeks ago.She tried with a metal detector for a whole day and couldn't find it.I said that I would give it a try when I got home from vacation with my detector.Now the story gets good.She showed me the area where she lost it and I turned on my detector and the yard was filled with metallic hits.I thought that this was going to be a long day.I have a hand proximity wand that beeps when you are around 1" from a metal object and when I showed him how it works he put the trowel in the ground where I told him to and up pops the ring.She was crying and I was in shock.This happened less than 5 minutes after I got there.We killed 2 bottles of homemade wine and in retrospect this day was something special for all of us.--charliezap
And you still took a picture? You're a better man than me Charlie but than again you are only a youngster. Seriously, I'm glad how it turned out. Thanks for sharing the story.
11-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Between your gold digging abilities and your scope for bubble shots I see a long career ahead of you. Not sure doing what, but as long as it involves copious quantities of beverages, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

great story charlie, of course you will be getting calls from all over now to come find missing jewelry, car keys and such ., cheers.

11-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Fantastic story, well done for finding her ring. Have you seen this? BBC News - Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years
11-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great story Charlie, thanks for sharing I bet your friends are glad you're home!
11-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Now that's a great story with illustration to boot!
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Some people have all the luck Jeff, I'll have to take Charlie with me next time.
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
And you still took a picture? You're a better man than me Charlie but than again you are only a youngster. Seriously, I'm glad how it turned out. Thanks for sharing the story.
For me this is one of the best stories to share that I can remember in a long while.--charliezap
11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Great story Charlie and wonderful find.
11-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Wonderful story Charlie. My wife has just lost her mums wedding ring, but we don't have a place to even start looking. You are very lucky.
11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Between your gold digging abilities and your scope for bubble shots I see a long career ahead of you. Not sure doing what, but as long as it involves copious quantities of beverages, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
great story charlie, of course you will be getting calls from all over now to come find missing jewelry, car keys and such ., cheers.
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Fantastic story, well done for finding her ring. Have you seen this? BBC News - Sweden: Wedding ring 'found on carrot' after 16 years
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Great story Charlie, thanks for sharing I bet your friends are glad you're home!
The amazing part was I was showing my friend how the pinpointer works and there was the missing ring.Since it took only 5 minutes to find it we killed 2 bottles of good homemade wine that afternoon and he gave me one to take home..-charliezap