Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Portrait of a Portrait..
Posted By: clarenceclose, 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM

A very talented street artist making a painting of a very lovely girl.
Taken as a quick grab shot with Optio 550. Isolated with selective color and sepia tone.
C&C appreciated.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Views: 3,387
01-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #16
Inactive Account

I really like this one Clarence. Great idea having the girl in colour and the balance in b&w, it really works. Little Laker noticed the brush is in colour..I missed that at first but once I saw it I did find it distracting.

01-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
A very talented street artist making a painting of a very lovely girl.
Taken as a quick grab shot with Optio 550. Isolated with selective color and sepia tone.
C&C appreciated.

wonderful shot, clearance!
and yes, what a nice looking girl, indeed!
I don't think I would change anything.... great angle, great color tones, etc.
you just can't beat the convenience of a P&S sometimes!

thanks for sharing this with us,

randy
01-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

i think its very clever and very nice clarence.. more as a work of art than a photograph.. but its way better than i could dream up..

trog
01-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Color and Sepia for comparison...

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Would you mind posting the unadjusted picture too? I'm curious about the color tweaks.
Per request these are the original unedited color and a different sepia I did as an experiment.

The young lady's eyes on the artist rendering are so intense, boring right into you.

Last edited by clarenceclose; 03-14-2007 at 09:01 PM.
01-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done Clarence...

Great way to isolate the subject... it's a compelling shot...

Well done good sir.

Now I have to figure out how to do that in Photoshop, since my Civil War reenactors are also good subjects when crowds are in the background. Can you fill me in on the technique?

Cheers,
Marc
01-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc,

Masking your layers in the technique:

Get the bottom layer(s) adjusted where you wish them to be for color/sharpness.

You can then cntl/alt/shift/E which will consolidate all of the layers into one.

Treat this layer to your favorite black and white conversion. Next put a solid color (I like the pantone 154) over the top of this layer and set the blend mode to overlay or soft light or something your prefer as the quality will change with each blend mode.

You can then merge these two layers (B&W and solid color) then envoke a layer mask and using the black brush paint on the mask and the layer beneath will show through. If you mess up, no problem, paint it back with white and all is well. Some areas, such as hard objects (brush handle) I use a hard brush, other area use a soft brush.

Zoom in for fine details and don't leave any overlapping edges of color as it really shows.

This is referred to as 'selective color'. Give it a go and give us a post.
01-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The second sepia rendition is too orange for my taste, Clarence. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the first, but I applaud your creativity. Have you tried a B&W?

01-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
The second sepia rendition is too orange for my taste, Clarence. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the first, but I applaud your creativity. Have you tried a B&W?
The second sepia is the same color in blend mode 'overlay' and was shown to give some idea of the effect that can be done to the black and white artistic sketch, increasing the intensity, especially of the eyes. I tried pure black and white, masked, on the original post but it was too bland and did not carry over my sense of the photo when taken. The nice thing about a solid color overlay in whatever blend mode is chosen, you can change the solid color to your own taste which communicates different moods to the capture. Thanks for the inputs.
01-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Very nice shot. The bit of colour seems to work well in this shot. The painter is very talented, too.