Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Simplicity
Lens: Pentax D-FA Macro 100 mm f/2.8 WR Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Iceland ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F6.7 
Posted By: GeoJerry, 11-16-2012, 01:53 AM

I plucked this one from the discard pile and tried to put it on life support. At first I liked it a lot, then I thought it looked too murky, like the faded old picture on your grandma's mantle, now I don't know what to think. Would be interested to hear if it works for anyone, or if it doesn't.

Views: 868
11-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is very cool about this is the flowers look suspended, as if in water. I understand why you are drawn to this unique daisy image. I like it...love the tones, dof, and graininess of the background which gives it the surreal feel. The only thing I wish different is the bits of grass and plant in the foreground crossing the foreground daisies. But I am nit-pciking because you asked for an opinion. I have shots like this... one day you hate it and the next you see its artistic merit. I would keep it Jerry, and then my forehead would crunch up, my eyes would squint, and I would spend way too much time working on it again trying to enhance that which I like most. Thanks for sharing
11-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

curiously, there's enough "strangeness" about the shot to keep me interested, not sure why !
cheers
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like it Jerry, nice dreamy feel it draws me in and I get a nice peaceful good feeling.
Love the tones and softness, I do wish the plant was not in front of the left flower.

In the end the real question is do you like it.

11-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll give you the glass half full answer - I think it would make a good image for a Post Processing challenge, as there are many ways one could tweak it, and it would be good to see the variations that emerged.

On a second look at the image I had one other thought - cut the image in half and just keep the right hand part. Waddaya think?
11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
I have shots like this... one day you hate it and the next you see its artistic merit.
Thanks for taking the time to think about this one. I know what you mean, I have pictures I think are really good one day, and then maybe a few weeks later I'll wonder what I was thinking and delete them. And vice-versa. Good idea to clone out some of the plant parts that cover the flowers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
curiously, there's enough "strangeness" about the shot to keep me interested, not sure why !
cheers
Exactly what I thought! Nothing great about it but it just attracted me for some reason. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
In the end the real question is do you like it.
Yes that's the question... still not sure. :-) I suppose I do, a certain attraction, just what Cee Cee said. Thanks for your comments!

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I'll give you the glass half full answer - I think it would make a good image for a Post Processing challenge, as there are many ways one could tweak it, and it would be good to see the variations that emerged.

On a second look at the image I had one other thought - cut the image in half and just keep the right hand part. Waddaya think?
I'll offer it up if for the challenge if the host wants it! I would really like to see different takes on it - a lesson in how to take an "ordinary" shot and make it look special. And yeah I like your idea of a portrait crop, right side only. Thanks!

Here's the original, BTW.

Not too inspiring.