Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

More from Hunting Island
Posted By: slowpez, 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Here are a few more to give you a glimpse of this state park which is fast being reclaimed by the sea. All the cabins have been washed away and the erosion will soon destroy the campground. Loggerheads nest here and it is hoped that they will continue to have somewhere to lay their eggs. Lots of salt marsh filled with shrimp and other seafood.

Last edited by slowpez; 02-28-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Views: 1,295
11-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Thanks Norm. We did try a little salt marsh kayaking but somehow I managed to scrape all the skin off my right elbow. Don't think I'm cut out for life on the water.
Not a kayak slopez, a canoe. For old inflexible guys like me, those kayaks are devices of torture.... I still own one, but I shudder every time I think about taking it out again. It could happen under the right circumstances, like I'm taking out rookies, I need a boat I can get around quickly in, we won't be in the boats more than a couple of hours and the weather is such that I need a covered boat. I can't think what other conditions would tempt me to spend more than an hour in one. Even that's pushing it.

11-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I actually had the good fortune to see loggerheads hatching once when we were down there. We were out walking and spotted am SUV parked on the beach a bit down from the campground, so wandered over to see what was up. Turned out it was a ranger and he was guarding the babies as they started hatching and worked their way down to the surf.

Probably one of the biggest 'never going to forget' memories for me.
11-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I actually had the good fortune to see loggerheads hatching once when we were down there. We were out walking and spotted am SUV parked on the beach a bit down from the campground, so wandered over to see what was up. Turned out it was a ranger and he was guarding the babies as they started hatching and worked their way down to the surf.

Probably one of the biggest 'never going to forget' memories for me.
Lucky man. We hope to make it down there to see the hatchlings one year. Never seem to be around at the right time.
11-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a terrific series, Susan. The third shot, especially, is very effective.

Jer

11-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a terrific series, Susan. The third shot, especially, is very effective.

Jer
Thanks Jer.
11-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, I really like the first and last. I could see that first one on my wall easy. Very peaceful.
11-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Wow, I really like the first and last. I could see that first one on my wall easy. Very peaceful.
Thanks GeoJerry, I appreciate the really very nice comment. Means a lot.
11-26-2012, 11:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

As a FWIW, most (maybe all) of the Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump were filmed on Hunting Island.

Gorgeous, gorgeous place.

11-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks very much like a place you'd want to be.
11-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
As a FWIW, most (maybe all) of the Vietnam scenes in Forrest Gump were filmed on Hunting Island.

Gorgeous, gorgeous place.
I knew Forrest Gump was filmed all over the south including Beaufort and Savannah but I didn't realize that Hunting Island was one of those places. Makes sense. Thanks for the information.

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Looks very much like a place you'd want to be.
Thanks for having a look EM.
11-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I knew Forrest Gump was filmed all over the south including Beaufort and Savannah but I didn't realize that Hunting Island was one of those places. Makes sense. Thanks for the information.
At the southern end of the island there is (was?) a lagoon just a bit south from the lighthouse - one of the roads flanking it has/had a bunch of cabins along it. It was being threatened by erosion even way back around 2000 when I was there last, but that's the body of water where the Bubba death scene was shot.