Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Fa 50/1.4 - the poor man's limited
Posted By: jthommo, 01-04-2007, 01:43 AM

As a pauper who'll never be able to afford limited lenses I find great solace in this lesser one: the Fa 50/1.4 which delivers really pleasing bokeh results. Samsung claim they will release a 35/2 which I'm hoping will be just a rebadged - but much cheaper - version of the Pentax lens (just like they rebadged the Pentax 50-200). But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the 50.

Views: 1,940
01-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots Thommo. The 50mm is an excellent lens and give fanastic results.
I, like you are waiting for Samsung to release the new lenses too. I would like to get the 35mm as well...and the 12-24mm and the 100mm macro...does it ever end?
01-04-2007, 03:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott Rylance Quote
Great shots Thommo. The 50mm is an excellent lens and give fanastic results.
I, like you are waiting for Samsung to release the new lenses too. I would like to get the 35mm as well...and the 12-24mm and the 100mm macro...does it ever end?
No it will never end, Scott, until those men in white coats come...
Samsung claimed it would release those lenses by late last year...I hope they weren't having us on.
01-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Thommo.

Hehe I heard the Samsung lenses would be more expensive in Australia though...

Otherwise I would get the same series as what Scott wanted

Cheers

01-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Nice shots, Thommo.

Hehe I heard the Samsung lenses would be more expensive in Australia though...

Otherwise I would get the same series as what Scott wanted

Cheers
Thanks, James. Bad news about the lenses - where did you hear that?
01-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yep, those are nice shots. I like my F50/1.7 more than any single other lens I've had or used, including the DA40 and even the FA31LE. Warm tones and creamy smooth bokeh. I plan to be buried with it.

01-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've seen that shot before Eric and still like it a lot. You've just inspired me to give my rarely used M50/1.7 a whirl this afternoon.

01-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Forum Member

I Agree FA 50mm f/1.4 is great

Not bad for landscapes, either

01-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

OOOhhhh. Those snow scenes came off nice.
01-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jthommo Quote
As a pauper who'll never be able to afford limited lenses I find great solace in this lesser one: the Fa 50/1.4 which delivers really pleasing bokeh results. Samsung claim they will release a 35/2 which I'm hoping will be just a rebadged - but much cheaper - version of the Pentax lens (just like they rebadged the Pentax 50-200). But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the 50.
Hi,

The first picture shows some good bokeh thinking of the transitions from the leaves that are in focus and from there and away. There is a hint of bright rings in the distant trees.

The second pictures shows the dreaded axial CA visible as green fringe most visible at the head of the man and along the horizon line. You can reduce or remove this in PP:

(jthommo: let me know if you want me to remove the picture, it is yours)

Reducing the fringe gives a more pleasent bokeh (to me at least) but may in some cases reduce sharpness.
Another problem with the second picture is that it isn't sharp but that may be nitpicking thinking of the context. Or not - sharpness is one of the things most often mentioned when discussing the limiteds.

imho,
The
01-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Yep, those are nice shots. I like my F50/1.7 more than any single other lens I've had or used, including the DA40 and even the FA31LE. Warm tones and creamy smooth bokeh. I plan to be buried with it.
Hi Eric,

Hmmm... "creamy smooth bokeh"? Don't you think the background shows a typical example of bright ring bokeh, which also often is regarded as the opposite to creamy and smooth? Like a bunch of grapes over her head, even? I guess this wouldn't show as much if the lens was stopped down a bit (but I don't know for sure). Another thing is that to my eyes there is a slight green cast here somewhat diminshing the warm colors. (Or is it my monitor here at work - it's a month now since it was calibrated but it usually doesn't drift a lot).

imho only of course,

regards,
01-04-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
An honest appraisal is refreshing, Jonas, much preferable to platitudes. Thanks for dealing with the CA. As for sharpness, I was manual focussing on her face as she was moving away - a narrow F2 depth of field (and not sharpened in pp)...pretty close I reckon! It is sharp on her shoulder and elbow! I sort of thought I shouldn't post pic two because it didn't show bokeh as well as pic one - but then I thought I'd give y'all a bonus

Last edited by jthommo; 01-04-2007 at 10:32 PM.
01-04-2007, 10:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice snowscenes Rickst
01-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Hmmm... "creamy smooth bokeh"? Don't you think the background shows a typical example of bright ring bokeh, which also often is regarded as the opposite to creamy and smooth? Like a bunch of grapes over her head, even?
Perhaps this isn't the best shot to show the creamy smoothness of the bokeh, but it was the best bokeh shot I had available online and I was too lazy to go find something better, process it, and upload.

QuoteQuote:
Another thing is that to my eyes there is a slight green cast here somewhat diminshing the warm colors.
Possibly. I processed that shot in October 2005, if memory serves. My post-processing skills have definitely improved since then. We're in the midst of preparing a wall for me to hang photos on, so I'll have to re-do this one and get it printed.

QuoteQuote:
imho only of course,
Honest critiques are always welcome.

Ciao