Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Cripple Creek Ice Sculptures
Posted By: jbrowning, 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM

The kiddo (Patrick) and I had such a great time in Cripple Creek today photographing the ice sculptures.

Here are a few that came out pretty good. Does anyone know how I can make the background blurry in photoshop? I have photoshop 7.0.

It will be going on next weekend also. I will be there all day Saturday into the night because they light them up at night. Those will be some great pictures.

Thanks
Jim
Views: 2,921
02-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great shots!!

These are some wonderful Sculptures Jim!!! Thanks so much for Sharing them..

The detail on them is just amazing.... I personally like the Elk and the train.. Especially the train!!

As far as bluring the back.... I dont know if this is the best method but I would use the lasso and trace around the sculpture and then invert it so it grabs everything but the sculpture.. and then do a blur on it that way...

I don't know much about processing but that is where I would start.. I am sure there is an easier way...

Kim
02-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
These are some wonderful Sculptures Jim!!! Thanks so much for Sharing them..

The detail on them is just amazing.... I personally like the Elk and the train.. Especially the train!!

As far as bluring the back.... I dont know if this is the best method but I would use the lasso and trace around the sculpture and then invert it so it grabs everything but the sculpture.. and then do a blur on it that way...

I don't know much about processing but that is where I would start.. I am sure there is an easier way...

Kim
Thanks Kim, yeah they had some really nice ice sculptures there. I can't wait to get there early next Saturday and maybe watch them start from a block of ice.

Thanks
Jim
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks Kim, yeah they had some really nice ice sculptures there. I can't wait to get there early next Saturday and maybe watch them start from a block of ice.

Thanks
Jim
I'd love to see that. Maybe a series from start to finish? I don't know how that would work. These sculptures must take a good amount of time. They are wonderful though. I bet they will really look great at night. I look forward to seeing your night shots.

02-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree the elf and train are great. That would be interesting to see at night. Great work with exposure in what Ithink could be tough situation getting detail during the day.
02-11-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Excellent Jim I recently went out to shoot some ice sculptures and know the challenges - you did very well. The detail and lighting is very nice. As for background it is all about Layers - I am a novice at PP but trying to learn. Google is a great tool and there are literally millions of hits on anything Photoshop related.
02-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I can't wait to get back up there on Saturday. I am thinking about doing a series shot from start to finish of a ice sculpture. I am hoping I can catch the ice fragments flying all over the place.

Thanks daacon I will do a google search and see what pops up.

Thanks again everyone
Jim