Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
HDR - What the eye could see
Lens: DA 12-24 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Banff, Alberta, Canada ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F22 
Posted By: daacon, 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Here's the original shot and and HDR processing (5 exposures) using Photomatix Pro 4.2.5 (64-bit). There are some artifacts on the HDR one, I think if I spent a little more time in Photomatix I could alleviate these. I quite like the HDR version though especially in the sky and foreground really adds details.

Click on image twice to larger view

Original

HDR

Views: 826
11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Interesting change Dave. I may give this a try. Not totally sold on the look but it is getting more and more excepted of a true art form. Cheers JIM
11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't really like the sky so well in the HDR, although the mountain/river are rendered nicely to my eye. Beautiful country, though!
11-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a big fan of HDR, but I wonder if you "needed" HDR on this one..........I took the liberty of processing the original in NIK Color Efex Pro and came up with this non-HDR version

HDR is best when you have a wide range of contrasts and there is detail lost in the shadows...........your original just needs a "punch" IMHO

Attached Images

11-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Interesting change Dave. I may give this a try. Not totally sold on the look but it is getting more and more excepted of a true art form. Cheers JIM
Thanks Jim , it's fun to play with - usually it completley changes the picture and I do think it has it's place - I am still a novice at it, but it's another way to process some shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really like the sky so well in the HDR, although the mountain/river are rendered nicely to my eye. Beautiful country, though!
Thanks Romdec I do like the sky as well - I can see your point on soft focus - this one may have been a timer HDR and some the delay between shots may have altered the 'matching'

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
I'm a big fan of HDR, but I wonder if you "needed" HDR on this one..........I took the liberty of processing the original in NIK Color Efex Pro and came up with this non-HDR version
HDR is best when you have a wide range of contrasts and there is detail lost in the shadows...........your original just needs a "punch" IMHO
Thanks GDroth - I like your take on it and I have some Topaz plug-ins that would offer a similar 'pop' - I am always torn between 'pop' the photo or leave it as the eye really saw it (which was indeed the first one) . I am also trying to 'see' with the eye what scenes would really benefit from HDR processing - now I do it just to play with software
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This would be a interesting picture to play with in Lightroom. This is a lot more here and I love how you have composed the image Dave. Cheers. Headin gto Grey Cup this week. Would have been nice to see BC there but much better seeeing one team from the East and not two Western Teams. JIM
11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The conservative me likes the original much better than the HDR version. I think I would try to shoot a 3 or 5 image +/- EV multi-exposure and then combine the results. LR 4.2s new highlight and shadow sliders do wonders for expanding the DR of an image too. I prefer a more natural look. FWIW, it's just my .
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ironically, the clouds in the HDR version look like they have clipped highlights where the original does not.

11-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
This would be a interesting picture to play with in Lightroom. This is a lot more here and I love how you have composed the image Dave. Cheers. Headin gto Grey Cup this week. Would have been nice to see BC there but much better seeeing one team from the East and not two Western Teams. JIM
Thanks Jim - yeah I was thinking of ya while watching the game - I am an ABC fan (Anbody But Calgary) but they did outplay the Lions without a doubt (shame about that dropped pass in the end zone on the last play). Not sure who I'll hope for, Unlike you I would have loved and Edmonton - Calgary grey cup ,but this year the Eskimo's well sucked - Have fun in TO !

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
The conservative me likes the original much better than the HDR version. I think I would try to shoot a 3 or 5 image +/- EV multi-exposure and then combine the results. LR 4.2s new highlight and shadow sliders do wonders for expanding the DR of an image too. I prefer a more natural look. FWIW, it's just my .
Thanks the more I look at it now (especially the blown up version) the less I am liking the HDR

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Ironically, the clouds in the HDR version look like they have clipped highlights where the original does not.
Yes I agree.

Here's a take out out Lightroom and Topaz adjust - much better than the HDR least to my eyes. I would not blame the HDR software novice user I am sure I could have tweaked it.

11-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It is natural to want a plug-n-chug solution. But often it makes your picture have a look like everyone else who uses the same software. Often you can just take two pictures and hand blend them in the editor. Especially when a scene like this lends itself to so well to that approach.
11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Your camera will capture a range of 14 f/stops--which is more than the scene you're recording. So, why use HDR?

The original scene could benefit from some post processing; I recommend you investigate contrast masking.
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
It is natural to want a plug-n-chug solution. But often it makes your picture have a look like everyone else who uses the same software. Often you can just take two pictures and hand blend them in the editor. Especially when a scene like this lends itself to so well to that approach.
Yes it was more to try and learn some of the software

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Your camera will capture a range of 14 f/stops--which is more than the scene you're recording. So, why use HDR?
The original scene could benefit from some post processing; I recommend you investigate contrast masking.
Thanks everyone has their pp methods - me I want to know it all but have neither the time or patience for that. There's people here who are magicians when it comes to PP. Perhaps if I win the loto or get rid of my day job I'll go down that road.

Appreciate all the comments. My general rule for editing photo's is try and please me - it is so subjective like the song says '.....ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself'.
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I often like trying HDR on landscapes and sometimes it does work really well. But many times I find that I don't like what HDR does to skies. In your image, the sky of your original looks a lot better to me - the HDR version has blown highlights (as mentioned), but also ghosting effects and dark shades around the cloud at top center. One of my favorite tricks if I like what HDR has done for the landscape but not the sky is to mask in the best sky of the input photos. I think HDR did a fine job with the rest of the image, but at the same time I think I prefer your latest attempt the most of all. It's a really pleasing shot.

Another thing with HDR over time is that I tend to really like the result at first, but when I go back to it later, I sometimes wonder just what I was thinking. I've even deleted pictures I had thought were great. There are some I've posted that now make me cringe. I find myself mostly using the "default" or "normal" modes in Photomatix now to try and reduce the blatant HDR look, and I think the technique works better on architectural and/or street themes as opposed to landscapes. But the thing I really like about trying Photomatix out is that you just never know what you're going to get. Every input can produce a big surprise.
11-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I like the last version best also. Great scene!
11-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I often like trying HDR on landscapes and sometimes it does work really well. But many times I find that I don't like what HDR does to skies. In your image, the sky of your original looks a lot better to me - the HDR version has blown highlights (as mentioned), but also ghosting effects and dark shades around the cloud at top center. One of my favorite tricks if I like what HDR has done for the landscape but not the sky is to mask in the best sky of the input photos. I think HDR did a fine job with the rest of the image, but at the same time I think I prefer your latest attempt the most of all. It's a really pleasing shot.

Another thing with HDR over time is that I tend to really like the result at first, but when I go back to it later, I sometimes wonder just what I was thinking. I've even deleted pictures I had thought were great. There are some I've posted that now make me cringe. I find myself mostly using the "default" or "normal" modes in Photomatix now to try and reduce the blatant HDR look, and I think the technique works better on architectural and/or street themes as opposed to landscapes. But the thing I really like about trying Photomatix out is that you just never know what you're going to get. Every input can produce a big surprise.
I hear ya Jerry it is an adventure

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I like the last version best also. Great scene!
Thanks Larry appreciate the comment.