Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Puffed Out American Goldfinch
Posted By: stormtech, 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM

We are fortunate to have a flock of American Goldfinches that are with us year round. We get to see them in their glory of yellow color in the summer, their motley appearance during their color change in the spring and fall (molt?) and their duller winter plumage. They are normally pretty scrawny/skinny little birds, but pretty neat to see them puffed out to keep warm when the weather turns cold.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Views: 1,825
11-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
That first one is absolutely gorgeous, Stan, and the others are splendid, too. Big thumbs up!
Thanks Dave - another lucky shot!

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I think everyone learned a little something about goldfinches today I've also only seen their yellow summer plumage, and I've never seen so many in one place! Great set of shots.
Thanks - I learned a little more also as I added to the thread.

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I am so green! This summer I had what I am assuming a pair (and not multiple pairs) come by and feed on my sunflower seeds that I originally put out for the squirrels. It has attracted the finches but only 1 male and one female at a time never more, i also see nuthatches and chickadees, and the occasional woodpecker. I would be thrilled to see that kind of action.

Thank you so much for putting these up. They are delightful.
While the sunflower seeds may attract them, they actually can't open the sunflower seed shells. We have half out feeders filled with sunflower seeds, and the other half is thistle seed. Thistle seed is their main natural food source. However, our finches will sit on the sunflower feeders all day, and just empty the feeder out on the ground taking one at a time and spitting them out. What they are doing is looking through the sunflower seeds for one that may be unshelled. My wife gets so mad at them since they empty those feeders in a matter of a couple hours. Also, they just sit on the feeders all that time and the chickadees can't get in to get any. We are trying to devise a feeder that the chickadees can get into that the finches can't.

11-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of my favorite birds. Lovely series and the first one is outstanding.