Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Ebb and Flow
Lens: smc Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Tannum Sands, Queensland ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: AussieTrev, 11-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Attempt at Silky Water

Attached Images

Views: 580
11-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The slow shutter speed seems to be working well to get that effect you wanted, I wish I was somewhere near some flowing water to try a shot like that! Is that an island on the horizon?
11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
The slow shutter speed seems to be working well to get that effect you wanted, I wish I was somewhere near some flowing water to try a shot like that! Is that an island on the horizon?
Thank you, still got a long way on this style of photography. Yes it is an island. This is looking out to sea from near the town of Gladstone. The Great Barrier Reef starts not far south of hear and therefore there are many islands out to sea. Im not sure this ones name though.
11-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice one, Trev! I struggle to make something of these shots, too, but you're achieving, mate.

Looking at your photo here reminds me I must try higher viewpoints, too (live view, a remote and a small HDMI monitor needed, not to mention a sturdy tripod and maybe a small step-ladder) not that I'm suggesting this one could have benefitted from it - it was your remark about having a way to go that started me thinking. Lower is easy, but higher? Have to think about that one. We have some beautiful beaches down this way, to experiment on, even if the water temperature's a bit lower than yours!

11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

nice results at 1/8 ss Trev, the water is a pretty ice blue color there
11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Nice one, Trev! I struggle to make something of these shots, too, but you're achieving, mate.
Thank you Rob. This was a fairly low shot, tripod on a rock, just off the sand. the only real problem was I forgot that I had my phone in my back pocket and almost sat on it, that would have caused this to be a smash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Thanks heaps Bob. The water gets to be a very nice blue the further north you go in Queensland. We are in Cairns at the moment and the water is a beautiful blue, not deep, but pastel. The only problem with photographing it is like you, it would involve early mornings and a bit of a drive to get to the great locations. I'll try and post some I shot the other day, unfortunately they are midday.
11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Thank you Rob. This was a fairly low shot, tripod on a rock, just off the sand. the only real problem was I forgot that I had my phone in my back pocket and almost sat on it, that would have caused this to be a smash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Thanks heaps Bob. The water gets to be a very nice blue the further north you go in Queensland. We are in Cairns at the moment and the water is a beautiful blue, not deep, but pastel. The only problem with photographing it is like you, it would involve early mornings and a bit of a drive to get to the great locations. I'll try and post some I shot the other day, unfortunately they are midday.
11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I love the gorgeous soft blue light and effects, and the composition is beautiful. The rocks and waves add drama... so something of everything. Very nice!

11-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Trev, the best colors are at noon and the blue hour is before sunset, so why waste time getting up early.
11-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like shots like these - deserted beaches with smooth sands and lots of pastel colors. Soothing.