Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winter is here...
Lens: Pentax 18- 135 Camera: K5 
Posted By: tessfully, 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Had to bundle up to walk the dogs today. North West Wind was howling and it was about -10, a big change from yesterday's +10. A couple of snaps to commemorate the day!

In my next life I want to come back as hardy as a Jumping Jack!

Garden Rock

Our favourite Beech Tree Corners

I am trying out Topaz ... (I'll never finish re-dorating that bedroom!)

thanks for looking!
Views: 792
11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh No, Snow. This has got to be the most scary thread I have seen so far this year. Bundle up Tess, winter is coming. btw, nice shots my friend.
11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Oh ya! The white stuff!

The last picture is very nice artistically! Nicely unusual!

Can't say I'm eager to see any snow! We usually just get a dusting. When I was a kid, growing up here, we had heavy snows. I have old photos of 2' at the barn! Had to feed stock twice a day, everyday! I'm too old for that.......
11-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Oh No, Snow. This has got to be the most scary thread I have seen so far this year. Bundle up Tess, winter is coming. btw, nice shots my friend.
Thanks for commenting Bob and for the nice comment. The winter coats are out of the closet... I do have a couple extras for when you and Terri come for a visit.

QuoteOriginally posted by WillH Quote
Oh ya! The white stuff!

The last picture is very nice artistically! Nicely unusual!

Can't say I'm eager to see any snow! We usually just get a dusting. When I was a kid, growing up here, we had heavy snows. I have old photos of 2' at the barn! Had to feed stock twice a day, everyday! I'm too old for that.......
I love the snow Will! Can't wait for one of those heavy snows you speak of... amazing that you had that kind of snow where you live. When I had my little farm I would tunnel my way to the barn after a snow storm and shovel a path for the doors to open. I absolutely loved being greeted by that warm barn haze and smell and the critters crying for breakfast. I feel so lucky to have had those experiences. But, I wonder how hard it would be on me today.... Thanks for commenting

11-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the juxtaposition on the little balsam, alive, the fern, temporal and the permanence of the garden rock.
11-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bright splash of colour, I almost feel sorry for that little flower.
11-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Winter, indeed. All nice, but I'm particularly fond of the first one in which the flowers jump out of the snowy background.

Jer

11-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice indeed.
11-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Lovely series again Tess. You sure know how to nail white snow. Love the Johnny Jump Up. They just never die but instead seem to travel away from where they were originally planted.
11-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

All good, as usual, but I really like the dog picture. I'm a big fan of that soft focus effect. What Topaz module did you use for this? It looks like Simplify's BizSim (or something like that).
11-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All good (of course!) but the "Jumping Jacks" is the standout for me -- elegant, wistful, and hopeful all at once.
11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Love the juxtaposition on the little balsam, alive, the fern, temporal and the permanence of the garden rock.
Thanks so much jac! It looked like an arranged still life I couldn't resist photographing

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
A bright splash of colour, I almost feel sorry for that little flower.
Me too Bruce. I walk by that basket of flowers every day and marvel at how they persevere. There is a foot of snow on top of them this morning. I bet if I brushed it off the little thing will still be there warm and vibrant under the white blanket!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Winter, indeed. All nice, but I'm particularly fond of the first one in which the flowers jump out of the snowy background.

Jer
Thanks so much Jer!

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very nice indeed.
Thank you eaglem

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lovely series again Tess. You sure know how to nail white snow. Love the Johnny Jump Up. They just never die but instead seem to travel away from where they were originally planted.
Thanks Susan; the Jump Ups are free colour throughout my gardens!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
All good, as usual, but I really like the dog picture. I'm a big fan of that soft focus effect. What Topaz module did you use for this? It looks like Simplify's BizSim (or something like that).
I used the Simplify 4 and I think I used the watercolour. Lots of fun playing around with the plug ins. Thanks for having a look Jerry!

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
All good (of course!) but the "Jumping Jacks" is the standout for me -- elegant, wistful, and hopeful all at once.
That is such a poetic comment baro-nite! Thank you so much!!!
11-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Nice Tess I really like #3 and the last one - you are about a month behind us , I hope we finish a month before you (but I ain't holding my breath).
11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Nice Tess I really like #3 and the last one - you are about a month behind us , I hope we finish a month before you (but I ain't holding my breath).
Thank you Dave. We are a few weeks ahead of the usual. Last year we didn't deal with any real cold or snow till January, but it was a warm year. This is early though. The white stuff looks a lot better than dead leaves and bare branches. Thanks for having a look.