Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Fire at 1/6400
Posted By: GeoJerry, 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM

Abandoning all hope of ever taking a decent macro, I turned to that age old question: what would fire look like at 1/6400 second? Here are a few of them taken in the back yard over a glass of wine. It's very tricky because the fire keeps moving in so many directions and it's hard to focus on anything. So I just pre-focused and hoped for the best. Most were uninteresting and deleted right away, but a few had some very interesting abstract shapes. The changes were extremely rapid so I suspect much higher shutter speeds would be needed to see exactly what's going on here.

Often you'd see these sprites developing, wisps of flame spinning off into the air.

Bonus pic of the day. I got Topaz Simplify over the weekend and gave it a whirl on this little birdhouse.

Views: 1,163
11-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Good shots. Fire photography is fun. Hot too. I took some at the roadside some years back when I first had the K20D. It is a hit and miss, but the results are great and capturing the frozen moment is something you don't see with the eye.
Thanks AussieTrev! How about if you post some of those fire shots?

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Very inspiring Jerry... Love all your fire shots... cooool! And the bird house is sweet. I only downloaded a 30 day trial for Topaz. I am not sure I'm going to keep it, but it is fun. Thanks for sharing and especially for the inspiration.
Thanks Tess! This was a fun little project, as I had no idea what to expect. The variety of the shapes was fascinating.

11-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks for the inspiration.
11-27-2012, 11:26 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will do. I'm away at the moment but I'll go through the shots. I know there is one that the flame looks just about right.
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I will not give up on macros but will take a temporary hiatus, until I figure it out.
I love your fire shots. They stir the imagination.

What problems are you having with macro? I'm guessing you've mentioned this in another thread...I don't consider myself to be particularly great, but macro has always come pretty easy for me, and I'm wondering what the difficulties are...

11-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I love your fire shots. They stir the imagination.

What problems are you having with macro? I'm guessing you've mentioned this in another thread...I don't consider myself to be particularly great, but macro has always come pretty easy for me, and I'm wondering what the difficulties are...
Thanks for the comments, fuent104. As far as macro, relative to all the outstanding macros posted on here, I seem to be unable to get the DOF others are getting, no matter how far I stop down. Maybe I'm putting to much reliance on the VF image, or maybe the lens isn't the right distance from the subject. I goess I need to systematically try to figure it out one weekend.
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
I goess I need to systematically try to figure it out one weekend.
I see. Distance certainly sounds like it could be the culprit. Are you using extension tubes, macro lenses, or some other method?
11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I see. Distance certainly sounds like it could be the culprit. Are you using extension tubes, macro lenses, or some other method?
Only a standard macro lens, usually the Pentax FA 100 mm, and sometimes the Pentax DA 50 mm.