Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Jumping Spiders
Lens: Pentax M 50mm f/1.4 & Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter & Extension Tubes Camera: Pentax k-r Photo Location: Mission, B.C. 
Posted By: Stoogie, 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM

I thought I'd seen my last jumper of the season, but yesterday was surprisingly sunny and warm. I was walking along next to an old barb wire fence with a bunch of bushes growing through it, and I happened to spot this little guy hanging out on a leaf. He was cooperative enough with the extra working distance from the macro teleconverter, and I managed to get a few shots of him. I tried using my new 28mm on my extension tubes, but I think next time I'll need to use less extension - I scared the poor little guy off, since he had to be pretty much touching the lens to be in focus. I was going for one of those awesome extreme closeups of their eyes, like Thomas Shahan does, but I cannot figure out how he gets so much magnification without having an unusable working distance!

For the first time, I've really noticed the teleconverter degrading the image quality. I don't know if it was just having a bad day, or my lighting was different (come to think of it, I didn't use my diffuser for these shots, maybe that's the problem), but I was pretty bad for a few shots, especially anything under f/8. I've never seen so much cyan, red, and purple fringing !

Here are my two favourite shots.

Views: 446
11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots with good DOF. For spiders they are rather cute.
11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks eaglem! They're definately my favourite arachnids.